• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can i use a different Recruitment Agency? Just starting a new contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i use a different Recruitment Agency? Just starting a new contract.

Hi there, I am just starting a new contract but i dont really like the agent i am dealing with. Is it possible to use a different agent or must i stick with this one?
    I am happy with the end client and he is happy with me. Just the agent i dont like.

Any advice please?

Many thanks

ali

You have signed a contract with the agency not the client, so I'm afraid you are stuck with them. Is there some specific reason you dislike this agent?
    If it is any consolation once you are on site and working, you won't have to deal with them very often. If they pay up on time and sort out extensions promptly I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Good luck in your new contract.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Many thanks for your reply. I havent actually signed anything yet with the agency. That is why i am asking. I also already deal with another client via another agency. Is it possible to get the other agency to take over? I am just trying to see what is possible and what is not possible. I dont like the idea of being confined to a certain agency simple because i was found through them. I would like to be able to choose which agency i deal through with the end client. Am i being too idealistic?

Many thanks

ali

Comment

It is worse than being idealistic, you are fundamentally not understanding the business arrangement you are are about to enter into.

The agent is not an irritating optional extra that you can pick and choose.

The main contract is between the agent and the client. The agency picked you to fulfil this contract once the client liked you, not the other way around.

The only way an agency might be dropped is if they are no longer on the client's Preferred Supplier's List (PSL) and they might agree to you transferring to another agency who is.

If you don't like the agent then you need to look for a different contract - the client will not agree to using another agent - it will be too much trouble and would cause too much bad feeling between the client and the agency.

The only loser would be you.

The contract world is tough and unfair (from your point of view) at times.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by aliAbu View Post
          Many thanks for your reply. I havent actually signed anything yet with the agency. That is why i am asking. I also already deal with another client via another agency. Is it possible to get the other agency to take over?
          As cojak says, agents are a necessary evil, you have to deal with them as best you can.

Agencies business model is that they place workers with clients and then take a percentage of the worker's fee. You can't just find a job through one agency and then switch to another agency of your choice because the agent who found you the job would get no money. The exception to this that I've seen is when the two agencies (and usually the client) agree and one agent buys you from the other one. I has been done but it's impossible to know if it's feasible in your situation - it depends on the agencies.

You are in a complicated situation. So you have recently worked for the client through agency "A" and then you get some more work through agency "B"?

Does agency "A" have a clause in your contract that says you can only work for the client through them? Is there any time limit before you can engage with the client through another agent? Did you opt in to the Agency regulations (which would limit the exclusion on working through other agencies). If there is a limit then agency "B" might not be allowed to supply you to the client anyway, at least not unless they come to some agreement with agency "A".

If you don't watch out agency A could get wind of the situation and threaten agency B with legal action because you are still contractually bound to use agency A and you could have no job at all. Alternatively, agency B could "sell" you to agency A (especially if A is on the perferred suppliers list and B isn't).
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Thanks for your info guys. The client is a different one from the other agent's client. So i dont think there is an issue there. What i didnt like about that agent , he was very negative and condesending towards me for some reason. So i didnt like him and also dont trust him so much with making my payments on time and he says the payments would be monthly rather than weekly as is with the other agency. He also maybe just a two man agency rather than a professional one.

But I dont think i have much choice so will go with him, unless there is a way out.

Many thanks for all your comments

ali

Comment

the payments would be monthly rather than weekly as is with the other agency.
              Make sure the agency will allow you to invoice them weekly, that way the most they owe you for is 5 weeks.

If they get grumpy about that they tell them that you are not willing to extend more credit to them than that. You should also consider agency failure insurance in case they go out of business if you are nervous about that.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Thanks for your info guys. The client is a different one from the other agent's client. So i dont think there is an issue there. What i didnt like about that agent , he was very negative and condesending towards me for some reason. So i didnt like him and also dont trust him so much with making my payments on time and he says the payments would be monthly rather than weekly as is with the other agency. He also maybe just a two man agency rather than a professional one.

But I dont think i have much choice so will go with him, unless there is a way out.

Many thanks for all your comments

ali
                Agents can be as negative and condescending as they like as long as they pay me. Probably an attempt to put you on the back foot as they won't last long with that attitude.
                As has been said, try to minimise your risk by invoicing weekly.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

To be honest I can see why the agent was condescending towards you as you really are naive.

There are lots of agencies who consist of one or two people, or start out that way. This doesn't mean they are less prompt in their payments.

Some agents deal with monthly invoices and others deal with weekly invoices. What you are looking for is the fact that they will pay you promptly when you submit an invoice.

Agents are actually a good buffer between the end client and you as sometimes clients, especially if they are large, don't pay invoices until 3 months later.

I hope for your sake you got your contact reviewed.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

reviewed for IR35 you mean? The good thing with this one is that i work from home.

ali

Comment

Working...
                    X