• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for FreeAgent Beta Testers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for FreeAgent Beta Testers

I dislike sales people on the forums stealthily plying their wares as much as everyone else. This isn't one of those and Cubs' Honour I promise not to indulge in the future.

However, this week we are launching the Public Beta Test of FreeAgent, our new online Contractor money management application. We are looking for Beta Testers with an eye for detail and who can provide constructive feedback leading up to our launch in September.

What does FreeAgent do? Well the idea is to rescue Contractors from Spreadsheet Hell. And we've been there.

We do:
    • Client, Project and Time Tracking
    • Invoice Generation (including from entered timeslips and expenses)
    • Streamlined Money Management using analysed uploaded electronic bank statements - very cool
    • Simple Director's Payroll
    • Calculation of VAT and PAYE/NI Liabilities
    • Good Estimates of Income Tax and Corporation Tax liabilities
    • Tracking of Business expenses paid for out of your own pocket
    • Dividend vouchers and summaries
    • Allow your Accountant to login and access your data

But we're not finished - there's a few rough edges and there's lots more we want to do. We need you guys and gals to tell us what you need!

If you're interested, head on over to FreeAgent Central and signup...

As an incentive, all our active beta testers will be given a free six months of service once we launch.

Looking forward to welcoming you on board...

Ed

Ed Molyneux
    Founder and CEO
    FreeAgent Central Limited
    "Solo Simplified"

Looks interesting, but before I take part - one question.

Is your company run by qualified accountants and do you hold professional indemnity insurance?

Reason I ask is that - although it would be great to have an online service that handles the business management side of contracting, the one saving grace of accountants is that they are professionally qualified and insured to do it.

So, if an accountant mucks up your accounts (as opposed to the contractor themselves putting the wrong numbers in the boxes), then you have some (limited) scope to sue them for negligence.

would the same apply to your service?
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

We are a naturaly cynical bunch here so sorry if this is offensive.

How can I be sure this isnt a sophisticated scam to steal my/my companies Id?
      (I havent looked yet at what info you require).

Is there a standalone downloadable version I can try first?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Could not find out on the website cost after the 6 months trial?

Comment

Same, what are the costs.

Does it do online filing or VAT, PAYE, P35 etc to HMRC at year end.

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey
            Looks interesting, but before I take part - one question.

Is your company run by qualified accountants and do you hold professional indemnity insurance?

Reason I ask is that - although it would be great to have an online service that handles the business management side of contracting, the one saving grace of accountants is that they are professionally qualified and insured to do it.

So, if an accountant mucks up your accounts (as opposed to the contractor themselves putting the wrong numbers in the boxes), then you have some (limited) scope to sue them for negligence.

would the same apply to your service?
            We have accountants on board but we're not going to be running an accountancy practice - if you need pukka accounting advice (which most people do) you'll need your own accountant.

But the idea is FreeAgent will save both you and them time in entering information and communicating it with each other. Your accountant will be able to spend more time helping you and less time crunching numbers.

Comment

Cynical Bunch

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              We are a naturaly cynical bunch here so sorry if this is offensive.

How can I be sure this isnt a sophisticated scam to steal my/my companies Id?
              (I havent looked yet at what info you require).

Is there a standalone downloadable version I can try first?
              Lone Gunman,

It's not offensive at all - we know lots of people will have concerns about privacy regarding their personal and company data. We're also going to be handling bank transaction data for everyone too, which you might regard as even more sensitive. We don't hold online bank login or any credit card details, so I would say the potential for direct fraud is very small.

It's a tough one - we're hoping that you'll get so much benefit out of FreeAgent that you'll be willing to trust us. But as a startup it's a harder sell to some than to others.

And this would be some sophisticated scam - we've put over a year of work so far into building the application and website. Once you've seen it I'm hoping you'll give us the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry, no downloadable version. We could argue for days about offline working issues, and there may be some solutions on the horizon. But not yet.

Comment

Likely Costs, Online Filing

Originally posted by rmjames
                Could not find out on the website cost after the 6 months trial?
                Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                Same, what are the costs.

Does it do online filing or VAT, PAYE, P35 etc to HMRC at year end.
                Gents,

Costs will still be in discussion for a while longer, and will then be posted on the website. But between you and me (and without prejudice or commitment, as they say), we're favouring £19/29 per month for Sole Trader/Limited Company. It's subscription based and you can leave whenever you like (exporting all your data as you go, of course).

This is just phase 0.

Phase 1 is the public launch in September with approximately the current feature set.

Phase 2 will start to incorporate online filing, VAT first then SA Income Tax. The rest will follow. The fully integrated service which does online filing is probably going to be a bit extra.

You may find that, depending on who you're with accountancy-wise, they will offer you a FreeAgent account as part of their package or at a discount. It certainly makes sense for most big contractor accountants since it saves them time and hassle too. If they're not offering you that, you should hassle them until they do!

That help?

Comment

Will FreeAgent be partnering with accountancy practices? If so, using what criteria? eg will you be expecting accountants to maybe become FreeAgent re-sellers on some kind of commission for referral structure?

Comment

Partnering

Originally posted by Bigbird
                    Will FreeAgent be partnering with accountancy practices? If so, using what criteria? eg will you be expecting accountants to maybe become FreeAgent re-sellers on some kind of commission for referral structure?
                    Bigbird,

We have a number of parallel models, one of which is accountancy partnering. It's early days, but as the summer progresses we hope to touch base with most of the main players.

BTW anyone who wants to chat about FreeAgent and is down in Central London on Thursday 7th June: myself, Olly Headey and Dennis Howlett will be at London OpenCoffee Club . Do pop in and say hi...

Comment

Working...
                    X