Advertising
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Advertising

  1. #21
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,428
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    88
    Likes (Given)
    558
    Likes (Received)
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
    -Accountants: DNS Accountants

    -Theyve stated betwen 70 - 90% return on gross

    -You can keep the bridge

    Whats a reasonable % to expect?

    Appreciate the replies all, thanks.
    In terms of 70-90% the question of a reasonable amount to keep is looking at it exactly the wrong way. What is the basis of of the mechanism that yields that retention. It is possible it is above board but may well not be.

  2. #22
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,460
    Thanks (Given)
    246
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    1047
    Likes (Received)
    3593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    In terms of 70-90% the question of a reasonable amount to keep is looking at it exactly the wrong way. What is the basis of of the mechanism that yields that retention. It is possible it is above board but it’s 100% probable may well not be.
    FTFY - the only way to hit anything above 80% would be to use a pension
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #23
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,428
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    88
    Likes (Given)
    558
    Likes (Received)
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    FTFY - the only way to hit anything above 80% would be to use a pension
    Wrong. But in reality probably quite correct with your underlying but undeclared assumptions.

    The amounts billed are critical. Sure at "normal it contract" rates I would entirely agree. But that is of course merely a subset of the market.

    If your rate is low it is entirely possible to retain a higher percentage. In simplistic terms retaining almost 100% of 10k would be normal.(I do know a few people on these sorts of numbers railroaded into company operation).

    Given the OP has given no indications of the numbers you can not legitimately ascribe certainty to the undeclared arrangements being dodgy. Just likely.
    Last edited by ASB; 7th November 2017 at 00:56.

  4. #24

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Thanks (Given)
    21
    Thanks (Received)
    84
    Likes (Given)
    78
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maslins View Post
    Many will do it on the basis "my accountant says it's ok, so it must be". When it comes to accounting/tax things, that mantra should be ok...but some accountants (and I use that term loosely) clearly don't give a poop about the law/ethics, bringing a bad name to the whole profession

    Hence my view, if you're in no doubt they are recommending what you're suggesting they're recommending, don't just leave, report these cowboys.
    Report to who? Are they a member of UK professional body? HMRC tell you that the responsibility for correct tax payment is the individual's responsibility. The accountants claim IPSE affiliation. Report them to IPSE? What will IPSE do? If you use this advertising scheme as suggested by the IPSE affiliate, will IPSE defend you when Hector calls? I wonder...........
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

  5. #25

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    24,785
    Thanks (Given)
    811
    Thanks (Received)
    1368
    Likes (Given)
    6261
    Likes (Received)
    4903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Report to who? Are they a member of UK professional body? HMRC tell you that the responsibility for correct tax payment is the individual's responsibility. The accountants claim IPSE affiliation. Report them to IPSE? What will IPSE do? If you use this advertising scheme as suggested by the IPSE affiliate, will IPSE defend you when Hector calls? I wonder...........
    If one looks at the accountant's page, they have won numerous awards and are a member of various bodies.

    Assuming the story is true (I don't doubt the OP, but one has to treat everything one reads on the internet with a healthy pinch of scepticism) and that the accountant is that one that google throws up, then it does need looking into.

    But as far as IPSE being in some way "responsible" - that's like saying that because I am a Microsoft certified developer, Microsoft are somehow responsible if I screw up a client's system.

    If the OP wants to PM me with any correspondence that details the scheme on offer, I will be glad to pass on to the office.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 7th November 2017 at 06:57.

  6. #26

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Thanks (Given)
    21
    Thanks (Received)
    84
    Likes (Given)
    78
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    But as far as IPSE being in some way "responsible"
    Apart from you, who sad that? I have made a different point entirely, which, true to form you choose to ignore entirely.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

  7. #27
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,460
    Thanks (Given)
    246
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    1047
    Likes (Received)
    3593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Apart from you, who sad that? I have made a different point entirely, which, true to form you choose to ignore entirely.
    Itís a standard response - I had the same when brookson became a partner as letís be honest their history isnít exactly whiter than white
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #28

    More time posting than coding

    Darren at DynamoAccounts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Between Leeds & London
    Posts
    248
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    25
    Likes (Given)
    225
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default DNS

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Report to who? Are they a member of UK professional body? HMRC tell you that the responsibility for correct tax payment is the individual's responsibility. The accountants claim IPSE affiliation. Report them to IPSE? What will IPSE do? If you use this advertising scheme as suggested by the IPSE affiliate, will IPSE defend you when Hector calls? I wonder...........
    Several of their management team are regulated by ICAEW and CIMA. They're also part of FCSA. The firm itself is not regulated by one of the accountancy bodies, purely by the FCSA. So reporting could be to HMRC, FCSA and the regulatory body of the guy who recommended the OP to alleged tax avoidance scheme. Could also take this up with the directors of the main DNS practice and advise them that one of their franchisees is promoting/facilitating which also leaves them exposed to prosecution.
    2016 Contractor UK Forum Adviser of the Year
    Wow!

  9. #29

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    1,105
    Thanks (Given)
    27
    Thanks (Received)
    93
    Likes (Given)
    101
    Likes (Received)
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Assuming the story is true (I don't doubt the OP, but one has to treat everything one reads on the internet with a healthy pinch of scepticism) and that the accountant is that one that google throws up, then it does need looking into.

    But as far as IPSE being in some way "responsible" - that's like saying that because I am a Microsoft certified developer, Microsoft are somehow responsible if I screw up a client's system.

    If the OP wants to PM me with any correspondence that details the scheme on offer, I will be glad to pass on to the office.
    This...though I wasn't thinking report to IPSE. Unsure what they could do beyond potentially remove the accountant's affiliation with them.

    OP - you've gone quiet in this thread, but if you're prepared to stand by your original comments with your real name, PM me (or email chris at maslins dot co dot uk) and we can take this further.

  10. #30

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Thanks (Given)
    21
    Thanks (Received)
    84
    Likes (Given)
    78
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Itís a standard response - I had the same when brookson became a partner as letís be honest their history isnít exactly whiter than white
    Correct. It seems a standard part of the lobotomisation. Any concerns I aired about the Bookson tie up were dismissed as "hearsay". And any request regarding any financial kick backs are, of course, "confidential".
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.