• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to write a contractor business plans?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to write a contractor business plans?

Hi

I was reading an IR35 guide and it mentioned business plans worth having in the event of an enquiry. I also remember my bank manager suggesting I wrote one when starting my company account, but didnt follow through as most of my clients have been through networking

Does anyone have good links or resources on writing one for a software development consultancy? How long should it be? What should it include(cashflows, ...)

Thanks

Was it talking about the Business Entity Tests which are now defunct? We've not talked about them since so would expect they are pretty pointless now. Check the date of the guide and if it's an older one look for some others.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

HSBC used to have a free template - most business banks do. Download it and see how relevant it is to being a contractor.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Was it talking about the Business Entity Tests which are now defunct? We've not talked about them since so would expect they are pretty pointless now. Check the date of the guide and if it's an older one look for some others.
        Yeah it was a bit old - so is it not worth spending too much time on anymore?

I was thinking that anything that helps, plus it might be useful for setting ideas to grow my business in the current climate.

Comment

I did one when I wanted to change tack from a trainer to a consultant.

It was a basic 'end-state' description with a 24 month plan for getting there (training, networking, what I wasn't going to do, etc).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I did one when I wanted to change tack from a trainer to a consultant.

It was a basic 'end-state' description with a 24 month plan for getting there (training, networking, what I wasn't going to do, etc).
            What template did you use?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              What template did you use?
              I think I got one from Barclays, but I did butcher it.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X