• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. No, vehicle costs are excluded unless you run a transport business.

2. Equipment and fixtures and fittings are largely capital in nature so are excluded.

3. Small consumables and other small bits of office equipment qualify as goods.

Comment

Thanks cyclingprogrammer. For the 1 & 3 I was more or less expecting that. But for equipment and fixture, is everything capital? I mean a carpet can't be capital? I'll never sell that? As well as paint and load of other things

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
        Thanks cyclingprogrammer. For the 1 & 3 I was more or less expecting that. But for equipment and fixture, is everything capital? I mean a carpet can't be capital? I'll never sell that? As well as paint and load of other things
        I think you'll have some issues with duality of purpose doing up a room in your house. Buying office furniture fine, paint and carpet, pushing your luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
          [emoji15]
          How much?????
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Well like others have said its probably only going to make a difference of a few £100 a year for most people.

Personally, I think I will come off FRS. Can't blame the accountants for saying you might as well stay - its more work for them after all.

But I dont think its that difficult - I already send my accountant invoices and expense sheets every month anyway.

And as I said before, I go out of my way to claim £75 a week when Im on the bench!
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

so thinking moving to standard VAT scheme ......

no point reclaiming the VAT on mobile phone bill due to private use element.

What about :-
              1) Cost of Mobile phone
              2) Computer equipment as a capital expenditure

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

1) Cost of Mobile phone
                If YourCo purchases the phone or the computer equipment and has a valid VAT invoice in its name then it can reclaim the VAT. If the phone contract is in the company name it can also reclaim a proportion of the VAT, adjusted for any personal/private use element. You don't need to apportion the VAT on the cost of the handset or any fixed charges though.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

1) Cost of Mobile phone
                  I asked this in some thread but didn't see a reply: does capital expenditure count towards your 2%/£1 threshold for FRS?

Just today one of my monitors suddenly died and I could do with a new laptop. If I spend a grand on those things, and my other VAT-able expenses are minimal (basically accountancy fees) am I a)able to stay FRS b)better off doing so?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So, stationery qualifies. I'm going to have to up my search for Penny Blacks.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I asked this in some thread but didn't see a reply: does capital expenditure count towards your 2%/£1 threshold for FRS?

Just today one of my monitors suddenly died and I could do with a new laptop. If I spend a grand on those things, and my other VAT-able expenses are minimal (basically accountancy fees) am I a)able to stay FRS b)better off doing so?
                      Neither cap ex or accounting fees count. There's a list up there ^^^ somewhere.

You can reclaim the VAT on this expenditure but it doesn't count toward the 2%. These are easily, and often, confused.

Comment

Working...
                      X