• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

newbie question about hardware purchasing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I hear this all the time on here, but it's not just that. If you want to buy a £2000 incl VAT laptop you're saving £333 straight away in VAT, then another £333 in corporation tax making it a cost to your business of £1300 or so.

Alternatively, you pay CT on your current profits, draw it as a dividend, pay your 20% tax and then buy the laptop inclusive of VAT.

Bag of a fag packet calcs:

Laptop Cost: £2000 incl VAT

Buying Through Company
    Company Funds: £10,000
    Laptop Expense: £1300
    Pre Tax Profit: £8700
    Corporation Tax: £1740
    Post Tax Profit: £6960
    Company Funds: £6960

Buying Personally
    Laptop Expense: £0
    Pre Tax Profit: £10,000
    Corporation Tax: £2000
    Post Tax Profit: £8000
    Dividend Withdrawal: £2400
    Laptop Cost: £2000
    Personal Tax @20%: £400
    Company Funds: £5600

Unless I've gone very wrong somewhere (Plausible, it's early) that's a difference of £1300 to your bottom line
    very good, except the OP said he wanted a ~£1K laptop...

my point was people might only "need" a £400 laptop but they'll buy a £2000 one just to 'save more tax' after seeing calcs like the above
    Last edited by pr1; 25 August 2016, 08:19.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      very good, except the OP said he wanted a ~£1K laptop...
      I know, I've just noticed my mistake too - was gonna delete and redo. Point is it, if he's normal VAT registered it's still much the same and the saving isn't "just 20% CT as is often banded about"
      Last edited by vwdan; 25 August 2016, 08:21.

Comment

I hear this all the time on here, but it's not just that. If you want to buy a £2000 incl VAT laptop you're saving £333 straight away in VAT, then another £333 in corporation tax making it a cost to your business of £1300 or so.

Alternatively, you pay CT on your current profits, draw it as a dividend, pay your 20% tax and then buy the laptop inclusive of VAT.

Bag of a fag packet calcs:

Laptop Cost: £2000 incl VAT

Buying Through Company
        Laptop Expense: £1300
        Pre Tax Profit: £8700
        Corporation Tax: £1740
        Post Tax Profit: £6960
        Company Funds: £6960
        Laptop expense isn't £1300, it's £1667. And if you buy it personally it doesn't come out of business funds at all. I get your logic, but that's not really comparing apples with apples.

It amazes me people want to spend £2K on a laptop "to save money". Sure if it's a choice between an £1800 laptop and £2K laptop then spec it up so you can get the VAT saving, but if the business case is "I need something to do my accounts on" then you don't need to spend £2K.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I know, I've just noticed my mistake too - was gonna delete and redo. Point is it, if he's normal VAT registered it's still much the same and the saving isn't "just 20% CT as is often banded about"
          and how many IT contractors are normal VAT registered?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Laptop expense isn't £1300, it's £1667. And if you buy it personally it doesn't come out of business funds at all. I get your logic, but that's not really comparing apples with apples.

It amazes me people want to spend £2K on a laptop "to save money". Sure if it's a choice between an £1800 laptop and £2K laptop then spec it up so you can get the VAT saving, but if the business case is "I need something to do my accounts on" then you don't need to spend £2K.
            exactly!

Comment

I already changed it. But yes, it is apples for apples because whenever this (or many other expenses based) question comes up so many people harp on about "Oh,you're only saving a few percent it's not worrying about it" which is nowhere near the full story. If it's a legitimate and justifiable business expenses then buying it via the company will save you substantial amounts of money and it's absolutely worth while considering the business case and looking at your options.

Comment

and how many IT contractors are normal VAT registered?
                No idea, but I am. And my example works for Flat Rate so how about stop clutching at straws because even if you ignore the VAT element the savings are still there.

Comment

Is that really a rule?

FWIW I bought a desktop through the company not long after I first started as I was doing client work from home, and later on also bought a laptop which I mainly justified by saying "I'm an IT contractor", and although both were used on and off for genuine business work they were more often not. But my current laptop and desktop I bought personally. If something's a company asset it needs to be accounted for, and again if you sell it, whereas by owning things personally you can do whatever you want and never have to worry. In the unlikely event that an HMRC man did come round I can say "those are nothing to do with the company" and then I don't have to justify anything.

I'd have saved a bit of CT, but not VAT, so I decided it wasn't really worth it. But that's up to you.
                  I'm confused. You are questioning eeks statement about company asset shouldn't go in a personal machine but your example doesn't discuss that?

Dunno if it's a rule but it's common sense. When you come to sell the machine you won't be taking the card out. It's not likely to be any use so it's linked to that personal machine.

I certainly wouldn't buy kit for my personal machine through the company. I would however sell the desktop to the company at market value and then do it..... If I could justify I use it with a good amount of business use if course.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    When you come to sell the machine you won't be taking the card out
                    why not?

Comment

IMO,

you need a laptop to do your work (presumably) - HMRC won't bother arguing over whether you need a £400 laptop or a £2000 laptop so go nuts - bare in mind you're only saving on the tax (20%) - you're still buying it with your (company's) money

(IANAA/IANAA)
                      Where as I certainly think the 'it's 20% saving' should always be considered when you are talking costs like this then it's different as the numbers suggest.

I think it's fair to bring that up when people are asking about putting coffees, sandwiches and other crap like that through. It's just not worth the saving to be buggering about. 1k+ purchases then it is.

Right idea, wrong time to apply it is say.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X