• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SATR Q for Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SATR Q for Accountants

TL;DR?
    If you had a client who paid you up until May 1st 2016, would you complete their SATR for the 15/16 yr?

Background
    I was with an Accountant for several years and paid their monthly fee up until 1st May 2016.

I have recently been informed by them that they will not be doing my SATR for the period April 6th 15 - April 5th 16. They have now stated that it is a 'complimentary service' which I only qualify for if I remain a customer of theirs.

My argument is that I was paying all their fees for the entire period the SATR covers, my introductory email states they do the SATR (but does not state any duration conditions) and their website says SATR is part of their services (again, no mention of the special terms).

All the paperwork I have makes no mention of the duration and I've asked for a copy of the engagement letter/terms three times but they have provided nothing to show they made me aware of this when I became a client of theirs.

I just wondered if this is standard practice in the industry or whether I was just unlucky with an Accountant that is now seeking to do the bare minimum given I have left them (it took months of chasing to get my annual accounts...which then contained mistakes).

Normally they don't do it for your first one if it's mid year as you haven't done a full year with them first. I guess it would depend on the timings for the exit.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Normally they don't do it for your first one if it's mid year as you haven't done a full year with them first. I guess it would depend on the timings for the exit.
      I paid for the full year and left after both the SATR and company year end period, hence why I am surprised it is not covered (not to mention that it is not mentioned in my terms)

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        I paid for the full year and left after both the SATR and company year end period, hence why I am surprised it is not covered (not to mention that it is not mentioned in my terms)
        I remember this getting asked and someone explained the timings in detail but I'll be buggered if I can find the post again.

I think the first thing to ask is what does your letter of engagement say? Does it mention this and the process of leaving them?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I think the first thing to ask is what does your letter of engagement say? Does it mention this and the process of leaving them?
          The paperwork I have doesn't mention it. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and asked if they could provide anything else I signed at the time that I may not have a copy of but they have nothing. I could understand if it was in their terms but this feels like them wriggling out of some work which fell within the period I paid for.

Hence why I wondered what other Accountants do.

Comment

I would say that if you have paid there fees that covered the tax period 6th April - 5th April that they should be completing the SA for you.

Comment

My experience is there are no hard and fast rules.

It really comes down to engagement letter.

Press for that, and if it's not forthcoming then if they are regulated stick in a complaint. If they are not then you may have to cut your losses.

Comment

Question: were you paying a "monthly fee" or was it an annual one that was divide over the months?
                How long were you with them for?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Question: were you paying a "monthly fee" or was it an annual one that was divide over the months?
                  How long were you with them for?
                  Monthly fee.

I was with them from the start of the 13/14 tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                    My experience is there are no hard and fast rules.

It really comes down to engagement letter.

Press for that, and if it's not forthcoming then if they are regulated stick in a complaint. If they are not then you may have to cut your losses.
                    I pressed for the letter to see if I had missed something/not kept all of my paperwork. All I got back was something that was created with yesterday's date, but with an address I was at 3 years ago.

It looked like it has been written yesterday but " back addressed" to give the impression it was from 3 years ago. I'd have expected an actual copy of what I signed to be on my file - maybe their admin is even worse than mine! Ironically that version didn't have the condition around duration of SATR which they are now citing.

Thanks. I will initiate a complaint - I would hope they are regulated as they are one of the well known accountants on here...

Comment

Working...
                    X