• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collecting "Minor" IR35 Pointers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors' Questions: How to subcontract some work?

Contractor’s Question: I’d like to subcontract some work to a contractor-friend I know for my client’s new project. But I don`t want this other contractor – who’s also a limited company - to invoice the client directly, I will pay him and his company. How would this set-up work for tax purposes; what about declaring it in my tax return and are there pitfalls?

Expert’s Answer: There is no problem about you invoicing your client for your sub-contractor`s work. In fact, it reinforces your status as being an independent consultant.
    The rest of the article notes that when subcontracting you need to be careful of SDC or you may fall foul of the Onshore Intermediaries legislation on ‘false self-employment
    Last edited by Whoknows; 15 June 2016, 09:52.

Comment

Not sure what your point is with the above and yes it's good for your status but this can only be proven when it's done. There is nothing about subcontracting in your contract, insurances etc. Until it happens it's no defence at all. It's not one of the pillars and isn't there until it's there.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Not sure what your point is with the above and yes it's good for your status but this can only be proven when it's done. There is nothing about subcontracting in your contract, insurances etc. Until it happens it's no defence at all. It's not one of the pillars and isn't there until it's there.
        I was only following your advice. I used Google. Found an article relevant to my query. Shared it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoknows View Post
          I was only following your advice. I used Google. Found an article relevant to my query. Shared it here.
          Yes, but did you ask your accountant as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Whoknows View Post
            But be careful as it's no one of the pillars we are talking about and as I said until you actually do this it doesn't exist as a defense. It's also complex to properly as the article suggests.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's a difference between subcontracting and substitution. Subcontracting covers all scenarios where work is conducted by a third party. Substitution involves sending someone else, on behalf of YourCo (i.e. invoiced by YourCo), to do the work that you would otherwise have done yourself. An example would be if you're ill. Both subcontracting, in general, and substitution, in particular, are good pointers to being in business on your own account, but substitution is the most important one for IR35. Also, HMRC won't necessarily accept evidence of substitution or anything else as a "silver bullet", but you would likely win in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Subcontracting covers all scenarios where work is conducted by a third party. Substitution involves sending someone else, on behalf of YourCo (i.e. invoiced by YourCo), to do the work that you would otherwise have done yourself. An example would be if you're ill.
                Right. I have quite a bit of work done by a subcontractor on some of my contracts, but that work is not work that I myself am expected to do in the contract. It obviously helps bolster the case that this is a B2B relationship but it is not the silver bullet that a true substitution would be, where I got someone in to do my part of the contract, for some reason. I do not rely on ROS to keep me outside of IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Right. I have quite a bit of work done by a subcontractor on some of my contracts, but that work is not work that I myself am expected to do in the contract. It obviously helps bolster the case that this is a B2B relationship but it is not the silver bullet that a true substitution would be, where I got someone in to do my part of the contract, for some reason. I do not rely on ROS to keep me outside of IR35.
                  Yep. Either way, it's a strong pointer to being in business, but the specific value of substitution is that it demonstrates a lack of personal service, whereas other forms of subcontracting may not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But the upshot is relying on RoS that's in the contract but not tested is a very weak position to be in now. In fact looking at the number of articles coming out, I'd argue RoS is no longer a pillar unless you can prove beyond reasonable doubt you can or did.
                    I agree with this ^^^^^^. At the end of the day it's the one that you're unlikely to test anyway as you want to keep the cash not give it away.

SDC can be vague as well so, whilst I collect minor stuff, I rely on MOO as the main proof.
                    Only invoice for deliverables that refer to a project on your contract schedule. When getting new projects added to a schedule you instruct the agent that you have won new business and have chosen to accept it.
                    Evidence of the client asking you to do something and you telling them to foxtrot oscar (work stuff not staff parties/team building)*** Assuming of course that you stay in contract after that
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      I agree with this ^^^^^^. At the end of the day it's the one that you're unlikely to test anyway as you want to keep the cash not give it away.

SDC can be vague as well so, whilst I collect minor stuff, I rely on MOO as the main proof.
                      Only invoice for deliverables that refer to a project on your contract schedule. When getting new projects added to a schedule you instruct the agent that you have won new business and have chosen to accept it.
                      Evidence of the client asking you to do something and you telling them to foxtrot oscar (work stuff not staff parties/team building)*** Assuming of course that you stay in contract after that
                      I'd say that relying on MoO is the most tenuous of all positions, unless you have emphatic evidence. Any one of them is sufficient, but MoO is a difficult one to demonstrate satisfactorily, and involves two components (during the contract and afterwards). Rather, (lack of) D&C is arguably the most powerful and readily demonstrated, because it is incredibly broad in scope (what, when, where, how) and most closely approximates actual working practices, which trump any contract clauses. That said, it behooves you to demonstrate as many of the major factors as possible, as well as any minor pointers. In the highly unlikely event it ever gets to tribunal, it's about building a comprehensive picture.

Comment

Working...
                      X