• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE+/QDOS TLC35, Company Pensions, etc etc etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
    Thanks Malvolio, I will do that. I think I have already got to the point of deciding on IPSE+ rather than the standard offering, seems silly not to for the price difference.
    To make it even easier, why not use this handy link to join up?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'll have a look at Hargreaves Lansdown, I'm also looking at the IPSE Futures.
      HL have the best on line platform by miles. They are not cheap, 0.45% platform charge, but that doesn't really matter unless you have a bunch of money invested, then it is cheaper to use a flat rate charge platform. I'm now transferring away from HL because of that, but I'm going to miss the HL platform, it's very good.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        HL have the best on line platform by miles. They are not cheap, 0.45% platform charge, but that doesn't really matter unless you have a bunch of money invested, then it is cheaper to use a flat rate charge platform. I'm now transferring away from HL because of that, but I'm going to miss the HL platform, it's very good.
        I though I'd check what HL would charge me. £2250 a year! I'm currently paying £300 a year at Youinvest, and when I swap a couple of funds I hold for equivalent ETFs that will go down to £100. I think there are one or two other places that would also only charge £100. (Interactive Investor, possibly, but I haven't checked for the purposes of this post.)

Really, over £2000 versus £100 for the same core service, and yet somehow countless people on here are willing to recommend HL?

Am I being naive thinking that essentially the purpose of these sites in to be an on-line stockbroker? And that there can't be a a £2000 difference in the quality of their ability to facilitate the buying, holding and selling of shares?

Unless HL are sending an attractive woman round to your house several times a year to provide personal services, I don't get why people are using them. People always talk about the good service, but I can never understand what they mean by that. It's not complicated to buy/sell shares on even the crappiest web site, and there's nothing else a broker needs to do for you. (Am not saying the cheap brokers have crappy web sites, I'm just saying it wouldn't matter if they did.)
        Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 30 March 2016, 11:21.

Comment

Join IPSE Today and be a better contractor.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            I though I'd check what HL would charge me. £2250 a year! I'm currently paying £300 a year at Youinvest, and when I swap a couple of funds I hold for equivalent ETFs that will go down to £100. I think there are one or two other places that would also only charge £100. (Interactive Investor, possibly, but I haven't checked for the purposes of this post.)

Really, over £2000 versus £100 for the same core service, and yet somehow countless people on here are willing to recommend HL?

Am I being naive thinking that essentially the purpose of these sites in to be an on-line stockbroker? And that there can't be a a £2000 difference in the quality of their ability to facilitate the buying, holding and selling of shares?

Unless HL are sending an attractive woman round to your house several times a year to provide personal services, I don't get why people are using them. People always talk about the good service, but I can never understand what they mean by that. It's not complicated to buy/sell shares on even the crappiest web site, and there's nothing else a broker needs to do for you. (Am not saying the cheap brokers have crappy web sites, I'm just saying it wouldn't matter if they did.)
            Essentially, you're right. That's why-

1. I said I'm in the process of leaving HL.

2. I pointed out the high fees up front.

I've no negative things to say about HL other than they're expensive unless you have a moderately small account.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks guys

Everyone's advice is much appreciated. The main thing for me is to have a company pension (as I really do need to make provision and I may as well do it as tax efficiently as possible) and given that returns aren't guaranteed, to keep fees low. I will check out everyone who has been recommended and I have a meeting with my tax adviser on Thursday. I have not always been as aggressive as I legally could have been on tax mitigation, but given the dividend tax, I'm going to be addressing that. On the other hand, as I always leave a decent amount in the company bank account as retained profit (given that I can be 3 - 6 months between contracts at bad times) the corporation tax news is a little more cheerful.

It's the end of my CAP today and I will be signing up with IPSE+ first thing tomorrow

Comment

It's the end of my CAP today and I will be signing up with IPSE+ first thing tomorrow
                Be very careful about which link you click for IPSE+. They aren't all the same.

Comment

Thanks guys

Everyone's advice is much appreciated. The main thing for me is to have a company pension (as I really do need to make provision and I may as well do it as tax efficiently as possible) and given that returns aren't guaranteed, to keep fees low. I will check out everyone who has been recommended and I have a meeting with my tax adviser on Thursday. I have not always been as aggressive as I legally could have been on tax mitigation, but given the dividend tax, I'm going to be addressing that. On the other hand, as I always leave a decent amount in the company bank account as retained profit (given that I can be 3 - 6 months between contracts at bad times) the corporation tax news is a little more cheerful.

AIUI, if there's any chance you want to back date pension payments, then you need to get a pension (any one will do!) in place before the new tax year.

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Be very careful about which link you click for IPSE+. They aren't all the same.
                  WHS. This link is the one you need.

Comment

Argghhhhh!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X