• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency terms restriction of Trade ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the views I will bow out now. I simply wanted to know that if they informed me of their terms after offering me the role and I found those terms unacceptable was that a restriction of my trade. Nothing more nothing less, I am also not a dumbass for not having reserve, I normally do but have had to pay for something critical that was not planned for, perhaps that never happens to you. I canned the contract anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggnchips View Post
      Thanks for the views I will bow out now. I simply wanted to know that if they informed me of their terms after offering me the role and I found those terms unacceptable was that a restriction of my trade. Nothing more nothing less, I am also not a dumbass for not having reserve, I normally do but have had to pay for something critical that was not planned for, perhaps that never happens to you. I canned the contract anyway.
      It's not restraint of trade, just normal business terms.

So you used company money to pay for something personal and haven't left enough accrued to for CT etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        I call sockie!
        Was it the drip feed of relevant information that tipped you off?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          "That's a shame. I hope you don't mind when I phone the person who interviewed me to apologise for the fact the agency are messing both you and me around and therefore I am unable to take the contract..."

I find that works wonders with agencies....
          Yep. I've had this too.

me. "oh really? when we discussed a rate I assumed it would be weekly"

agent. "but the client is only paying us monthly"

me. "and we both know your job is to mark up the rate and factor it"

agent. "err..."

me. "we can talk about 2-weekly or monthly if you want to discuss the rate again"

agent. "<cough> ... let me check with accounts"

And that was it. Sorted.

This was the same agent that penned the contract with 4 weeks notice whilst the client contract was 1 week. The tricks they play I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            Yep. I've had this too.

me. "oh really? when we discussed a rate I assumed it would be weekly"

agent. "but the client is only paying us monthly"

me. "and we both know your job is to mark up the rate and factor it"

agent. "err..."

me. "we can talk about 2-weekly or monthly if you want to discuss the rate again"

agent. "<cough> ... let me check with accounts"

And that was it. Sorted.

This was the same agent that penned the contract with 4 weeks notice whilst the client contract was 1 week. The tricks they play I tell you.
            They're not tricks. They're office juniors sticking to their checklist and work instructions. Real agents are too expensive to waste on us, they stay in front of the client. The people making the decisions never leave the back office.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              They're not tricks. They're office juniors sticking to their checklist and work instructions. Real agents are too expensive to waste on us, they stay in front of the client. The people making the decisions never leave the back office.
              Actually no. It was a director of AgencyCo that I dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                Actually no. It was a director of AgencyCo that I dealt with.
                Don't go proving Mal wrong, he always ignores it and carries on in his little "Mal is right" shell, it's not worth the effort.

I've had similar conversations, I'm sure most of us with a few years contracting have, as you said it's standard stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Don't go proving Mal wrong, he always ignores it and carries on in his little "Mal is right" shell, it's not worth the effort.

I've had similar conversations, I'm sure most of us with a few years contracting have, as you said it's standard stuff.
                  Yeah but don't let it get you down, eh.

Comment

Working...
                  X