• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye Permanent, Hello Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Permanent, Hello Contracting

Good morning all!

I've been lurking these boards for a number of years and find the place an excellent resource for all things contracting. I won't bore/annoy you all with my questions, of which most have been answered using the most helpful links in the CUK Navigation area to my right and of course the search facility.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce myself and to bore you all with my circumstances, I'll keep it brief!

Have been a West Midlands based permie IT monkey for about 13 years and have worked in both private and public sector. Started out on ServiceDesks/1st Line and then progressed into 2nd line desktop support. After a number of years on the desktop side of IT support I then moved into 3rd line infrastructure project and BAU roles. Of course, all permie!

I'm pretty much a 'generalist' in that I'm open to take on anything which comes my way but my specialties are in the areas of Active Directory, Windows Server, Exchange 2007/2010, Lync 2010/2013 and VMware vSphere...yadda yadda yadda! Nowt special really!

To cut a long story short: split up with the missus 4 years ago, followed by a 1 year battle in the family court to see the kids and was awarded 'contact'. After that court stuff I decided to stay the fook away from the concept of relationships which is compromise at someone's expense, usually the fathers! So these days I concentrate on being a good dad in the little time I'm 'allocated' by the ex-crement!

After the above debacle, I spent what seemed an eternity in a sub 25k PA Infrastructure permie role for a private company. Was grateful for the job, they paid for a lot of training and I got my hands dirty on a lot of new technologies.

After many moons of paying rent and wondering just what the hell I was going to do with my life, a close relative sadly passed away. In her will she left her entire estate to my family which included her property in SE London (Zone 3). After some discussions, the property was passed to me. About two months ago, I jacked in the above mentioned permie role, paid off the landlord and then got my fat @rse down here! Only took a short time to settle down but there were a few loose ends to tie up before I could start looking for work.

A few weeks ago I scored a 3 month contract gig up near Angel in Islington. Daily rate is a smidgen over £300 which really great! All of it happened so quickly in that I was telephone interviewed, followed by face to face and then asked to start the next day! Even though I had been looking into contract work, I had not formed a Ltd company so opted to do this gig under a brolly. But in the next month or so I will get a Ltd sorted along with an accountant etc. I'm looking at getting it sorted by SJD as I want this done right and I don't want to cut corners. But for my first gig, a brolly will do just fine and will give me time to soak up the world of Ltd.

So I've decided to drop the permie stuff and make a success out of contracting. I have no missus or in-laws to answer too nor do I have to worry about mortgage or rent. For me the risk is quite small so I'd be damned fool for not pursuing contracting.

My intention is not to contract only in London but all over the UK with London being my secure base (my home). I have no issues with checking out for 5 days per week to work elsewhere because I want this to be a success and I believe flexibility is the name of the game.

Anyway, that's enough bollo!

Thanks for reading and apologies for the naff grammar too!

ExPermie
    Last edited by ExPermie; 11 August 2013, 11:08.
    sasguru says:
    Yes but you are quite limited after all
    Answers on a postcard please!

Welcome

Welcome and good luck!

I too am getting divorced and having to go through a court battle - more on the financial settlement than kids contact - but I did laugh when I saw you use the term "ex - crement"!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by ExPermie View Post
      But for my first gig, a brolly will do just fine and will give me time to soak up the world of Ltd.
      If you are only going to do one gig with the umbrella company, make sure you understand the tax implications of you having one permanent place of work.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Many thanks for the welcome.

I wish you the best of luck with your divorce and hope you get a speedy conclusion.

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        Welcome and good luck!

I too am getting divorced and having to go through a court battle - more on the financial settlement than kids contact - but I did laugh when I saw you use the term "ex - crement"!
        sasguru says:

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If you are only going to do one gig with the umbrella company, make sure you understand the tax implications of you having one permanent place of work.
          Will do, thanks for the advice.
          sasguru says:

Comment

Working...
          X