• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi, I just got offered my first contract. I'm scared

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by photomile View Post
    There's a few things that confuse me of course, like my umbrella company seems to be a bit weird about submitting expense claims unless it's your second job
    What they are saying is that if this is going to be the only job you do for them then you can't submit expense claims. Just assure you that you will be doing other contracts though the umbrella and you will be fine.

The other thing that confuses me is references? How exactly could I get a reference? From the agency, the people I'm doing the job for... or the umbrella company that I'm now "employed" by?
    From the client generally, the agency and umbrella are just middle men, they don't count for anything. But read the sticky before you go giving anyone's name as a reference.

More to that (We touched on it briefly earlier), CV's and LinkedIn... do I put my employer as the umbrella corp with contracts underneath? It's all rather confusing but I'm asking as I understand reputation does you far more favours than flat out experience, and at the end of the day, I'd like to keep contracting!
    Put down the clients you have worked for, the umbrella or agent means nothing.

does that mean I have to leave the umbrella corporation until I do find another job? or do I only pay them when I have a contract?)
    You need to ask them about this - they approach this in different ways. Don't go signing up to pay them even if you aren't working though.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

keninparis - There's no need to be rude. I was offered work and I took it, I literally got offered at 3pm on Friday, to start on Monday. I had two hours to discover what an umbrella company was, etc. I still don't have the TOC's of my contract, just an offer letter. I'm trying to learn what I can because there isn't too much information. Does asking questions not denote that I'm trying to get to grips with things ASAP? Also, I'm systems and support, I ALWAYS carry a small screwdriver, literally has saved my ass when trying to get into a case or remove a stubborn cable screw in front of a very irate client.

Wanderer - Thanks! I've had a chat with their payroll team who've answered a lot of questions, and I've been pulling as much research as I can over the weekend. Suffice to say it's clear I made a lot of mistakes with the recruitment agency and the umbrella co which, probably wouldn't have happened if I had more than two hours to decide if I was going to do contract work.

I wish I'd had more of a chance to decide to do contracting but... the more I read about it, the more I'm pleased about the idea. Just a pity I was pretty desperate for work!

I will also be having some strong words with the recruiter as I have no contract, just a site contact and an 'offer letter' as well. Like I said, this was last minute, and frankly when you've lost your home, pound signs start flashing up like neon lights

It's still nerve racking, but the more and more I read, means I'm looking forward to it even more. I had never really considered contracting before, so understood nothing. Such a shame it had to come in a baptism of fire. At least I don't need to go and buy a laptop, I'll use clientco's one or my own personal one. It's halfway to dead anyway
      Last edited by photomile; 23 October 2011, 09:59.

Comment

keninparis - There's no need to be rude.
        No offence intended. Either your thread is a 'wind-up' (most likely), else best get your screwdriver dusted down for the morning.

If not a wind-up, IMO you need to get to grips with this contracting game pretty sharpish...

Comment

Why on earth would it be a windup?

Like I said, I'm asking questions and researching as quickly and as best I can!

What exactly is your fixation with a screwdriver?! Clientco has contracted me to do a rollout, that means software installs and apparently a few machine replacements including upgrades for those that don't support it. I can envisage a few points where I would need a screwdriver there!

Comment

Why on earth would it be a windup?

Like I said, I'm asking questions and researching as quickly and as best I can!

What exactly is your fixation with a screwdriver?! Clientco has contracted me to do a rollout, that means software installs and apparently a few machine replacements including upgrades for those that don't support it. I can envisage a few points where I would need a screwdriver there!
            Listen, I need to find a bar that's showing the manc derby and find out where ms. KP is and cover up winnings from the rugby.

If you're taking a screwdriver into work on Monday you're insane

Comment

Ok, well, I don't quite understand that it seems but ok.

Comment

Ok, well, I don't quite understand that it seems but ok.
                It seems that there is a reason why it says "keninparis is slower than a 486"....
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  It seems that there is a reason why it says "keninparis is slower than a 486"....
                  LOL well... maybe that should be me as well because I'm still trying to understand why it's an issue for a rollout with hardware upgrade *shrug*

Thanks for your help Wanderer (Nope, I don't pay during contract downtime either btw) just have to fax everything possible to them and claim everything. I'll wait a bit before I can justify buying a 'business laptop'

Comment

LOL well... maybe that should be me as well because I'm still trying to understand why it's an issue for a rollout with hardware upgrade *shrug*

Thanks for your help Wanderer (Nope, I don't pay during contract downtime either btw) just have to fax everything possible to them and claim everything. I'll wait a bit before I can justify buying a 'business laptop'
                    It seems CUK needs to branch out. One portal for systems (those who get the best rates) and one for 'hardware' people (who take screwdrivers into work).

Comment

Charming... To be honest, I'd take a screwdriver anywhere. I'm one of 'those' types that just always finds it handy to have. Even back when I was designing and implementing AD networks for clients when I was a permie, I always carried a small screwdriver. Never used it, but it was 'always there'

What a polite way of saying 'You're not welcome here' eh?
                      Last edited by photomile; 23 October 2011, 11:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X