• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 questions from a future new contractor.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    You can't charge VAT until you're VAT registered. However, there is always a period of limbo between applying and receiving confirmation. I believe, in that scenario, you can invoice without VAT and add a note to say, "VAT registration applied for; VAT invoice to follow". Then, when your VAT registration comes through, you raise an invoice for the VAT element only. This is only valid during the period while your registration is being processed. You can't trade for six months, apply to join a VAT scheme, and then raise six months' of VAT invoices.
    Thanks. In fact, that's what a friend of mine did for 3 weeks, but I didn't know if that was legal or normal.

In that case, I think I will open the company 6 April and start everything that day.

BTW, is it normal telling the recruiters that contract must be reviewed by an expert and perhaps changes are needed?
    I have several friends who are contractors and they never did that, which seems strange to me.
    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X