• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New newbie saying hello. And asking for advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New newbie saying hello. And asking for advice

Hi everyone!

Newbie here and not contracting at the moment. I would really appreciate advice from more experienced contractors. I graduated more than a year ago, did 2 internships since then and after that landed on a monthly rolling contract which was extended 4 times. After that I found a permanent role, actually I didn't really want to go for it but an agent told me that it would be better if I start a permanent role, get some skills and show progression on my CV in order to get a much better paid contract jobs in 3-5 years. He said that it can be difficult to get better contracts in the future if I stay now as I will pigeonhole myself and will always have to go for those low paid contract jobs(I am a support person, 1st/2nd line) and it will be difficult to get a role with more responsibilities. At the moment I work as a permie and have been with the company for a month and am not really happy, not only because of the salary but because the progression the agent was talking about won't be that easy and because of the company politics and benefits which were pictured as fantastic but in reality are ridiculous, (good to keep those not very demanding graduates happy though). E.g share options after 4 years(4 years!), fizzy drinks for free(could be something healthier if you take care of employees), bonus capped at 5 or 10% - I will never forget HR lady saying this is a good company if you like money! I am thinking about going back contracting but I am just a bit scared after that as I'd like to go into networking/security some day and am afraid that it will be difficult if I start contracting now. Thus the question: Is it possible to progress as a contractor? Or the agent was right? Did he say all that just to scare me and make me accept an offer to get commission? I have no problems with learning at home, building labs and getting certs if that makes any difference.

Did the agent also tell you to use the enter key.. Only and idiot would read through all that.... but seems I did ( ) I would say...

I'd guess you've currently very little in the way of demonstrable skills or experience you can offer clients. 1st/2nd line is an awful gig.. Do you really want to be stuck doing that for the rest of your life?

Go perm, stop looking at the rate you could earn now with no skills, experience or nothing. Get a career, learn skills and get good at something. When you've got 5+ years solid experience delivering something they you have skills a client might pay good rates for as a contractor. That said I'd expect contracting to be pretty much dead as we know it by then so you might have beat the rush to the good perm jobs.

Contracting is about having skills and selling them. No skills = no money. Get yourself set up first and THEN come back.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nluk you took the words out of my mouth, he has a Degree with formatting like that, strewth!

Makes me kind of glad I merely managed to get a CSE!
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

The agent is right. There is no quick route to this. If you want to stay in crappy first line support contracts, knock yourself out but the big bucks take experience and sucking up training and time served learning the ropes and how business works.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That said I'd expect contracting to be pretty much dead as we know it by then .
          You worry too much it will all be fine!
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
          X