• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

specifics mechatronics software, location Holland/Euro/UK (employee considering jump)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

specifics mechatronics software, location Holland/Euro/UK (employee considering jump)

Hello my name is Xavier, I have just registered. I'm originally Spanish, currently working in Holland, as I clarify on the thread title, still as an employee. But I'm starting to consider a freelance career, initially because I've been approached by an umbrella company about a project, but the idea also looks attractive to me. I've looked through the website and forum and I've already found much useful information. But to someone who knew absolutely nothing about this world, there's much more I would like to ask.

If you are wondering why I post on this UK website if my question is not primarily about UK, well according to Google this is a good place, I don't think there are comparable country-specific websites over here, let alone English-speaking, and moreover I expect a lot of information to apply pretty much equally (?) due to market interaction and geographic proximity.

Anyway here are the facts and my questions. The project proposed by this umbrella company is in Rotterdam, they don't give away much info for fear of losing exclusivity, but it's about signal/image processing and data acquisition. The rest of my background is mechanics, research, math etc. So I'm not pure IT, but I've become quite specialized in programming, mostly C#, C++, Matlab, applied to the other fields, and it's what I plan on continuing doing.

1. So my first question is whether anyone knows these fields. Of course rates depending on experience (GBP in UK would be OK as orientation and much appreciated), but also dos and don'ts, CV tips -- for these specifics and particularly things that should be different from applying to be an employee.

2. Then about the area, anyone has experience or knowledge of Holland or specifically Rotterdam, or Euro zone in general, as a freelancer? Same questions as 1... I can share tips from the employee perspective if you want, which I hope for my sake are not too opposite to freelance practices.

3. General tips for someone in my general situation? Employee considering freelance prospects, and if successful seriously considering resigning and going fully in this direction for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks in advance for any reply.

Working...
X