• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth switching from Parasol to ContractorUmbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth switching from Parasol to ContractorUmbrella?

Hi,

Have just found out that CU's fees are cheaper (£85 vs £119.50), and also when tried their calculator with numbers from one of my last payslips I got about £100 more.

BTW, Parasol allows to claim meal expenses up to £10/day with no receipts - as long as you left for work before 7am, otherwise you can claim £5/day. You can also claim your monthly travelcard with your receipt. These are all the expenses I would be claiming. Does CU let you claim these too?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Daventry View Post
    Hi,

Have just found out that CU's fees are cheaper (£85 vs £119.50), and also when tried their calculator with numbers from one of my last payslips I got about £100 more.

BTW, Parasol allows to claim meal expenses up to £10/day with no receipts - as long as you left for work before 7am, otherwise you can claim £5/day. You can also claim your monthly travelcard with your receipt. These are all the expenses I would be claiming. Does CU let you claim these too?

Thanks.
    IMHO you should definitely consider this move Seriously though - all umbrella companies work in the same way and we are all under the control of HMR&C as it is they that decide the costs that can be processed as an allowable expense. As it happens we have a chap working for us who used to be a tax inspector at HMR&C - his name is Roger Westlake - so if you want to have an in depth chat about expenses he's your man.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      IMHO you should definitely consider this move Seriously though - all umbrella companies work in the same way and we are all under the control of HMR&C as it is they that decide the costs that can be processed as an allowable expense. As it happens we have a chap working for us who used to be a tax inspector at HMR&C - his name is Roger Westlake - so if you want to have an in depth chat about expenses he's your man.
      If I do switch, how painful it is to transfer my existing assignment?

Comment

If I do switch, how painful it is to transfer my existing assignment?
        Your existing umbrella company will probably require you to give notice and you will need to let your agency know - are you mid assignment?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Your existing umbrella company will probably require you to give notice and you will need to let your agency know - are you mid assignment?
          Yes, although it does end next friday and am starting a new one on Monday 28th May.

Comment

Yes, although it does end next friday and am starting a new one on Monday 28th May.
            Then you should have no problem - umbrella companies are the same as any other employer - you work your notice and move on

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Well, my agency just told me they only work with Parasol, Giant and Paystream.
              Giant is more expensive than Parasol and have found a lot of bad reviews on Paystream in this forum, so I guess I'll stick to Parasol.

BTW, is it legal than an agency just works with umbrellas of their choice?

Regards.

Comment

Yes. A company can choose who they want to contract with and who they don't.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Giant is more expensive than Parasol and have found a lot of bad reviews on Paystream in this forum, so I guess I'll stick to Parasol.

Regards.
                  Hi Daventry

Thanks for your feedback, one of our Employee Support team would be really keen to have a chat with you. If you would like to send your details to me at [email protected], I can arrange for someone to give you a call.

Thanks

Comment

Regards.
                    Some recruitment agencies have a closed preferred suppliers list meaning that they will only work with those companies on that list; as with most industries there are sometimes fees attached to the referrals

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X