• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting!

Hi All,

Ive recently left my permanent role in the attempt to establish a succesful career in contracting!

I figured contractor UK would be a good place to start; meet some new people, find some work in the future (currently working in a 4 month contract - Data Analyst), get some tips and hints from fellow contractors about the industry.

Firstly, im undecided how to manage my finances. Can anyone help me? Peopple i work with have discussed umbrella companies, but Im not too sure i feel compfortable (im a bit of a wuss).. what are my other options???

Would appreciate some advice from experienced contractors.

You have the option to open your own limited company, to use a PAYE umbrella company or to use a tax avoidance scheme. If you have decided that contracting is the career for you, you are well organised and disciplined then a Limited Company would be the way to go (I say well organised and disciplined because various taxes payable through a ltd co are in arrears). If you are not sure about contracting long term, like security, don't like paperwork or are just not comfortable with the idea of running a business yet - an umbrella company would be a good route for you.

With regard to alternatives to Ltd Co or PAYE umbrella - there are many hundreds of options - loan schemes, EBT's, offshore schemes etc etc but you should be aware of the risks of using what HMR&C consider to be an avoidance scheme. The scheme provider will be unlikely to tell you of the risk but there is plenty of info available on this site.

HTH
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
    X