• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New umbrella company required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just done another quick calculation - for a contractor earning 500 Per Day and paid monthly Parasol's effective "FEE" is 241.71eek

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
      Just done another quick calculation - for a contractor earning 500 Per Day and paid monthly Parasol's effective "FEE" is 241.71eek
      Geoff, are you using the monthly NI free allowance in your calculation? I'm not getting the same figures as you?

Comment

Has anybody raised the thorny issue of ridiculous bank charges yet?

Comment

The umbrella company that I am going with have explained that people are losing out in net pay since 1st October because companies such as Parasol are "rolling up" (don't quite understand the term) any money that would be paid out between contracts, and therefore due to minimum wage they can't claim the expenses as before. They said that the pay between assignment is a right under the rules not that we should have to have pay held back to cover it.

Would this explain the increase in the fees charged or retained (not quite sure) by Parasol?
          ...and if so, surely this is getting around the whole point of what the new rules intended, to be paid for 4 weeks if not on contract

Comment

Originally posted by Technofobe View Post
            The umbrella company that I am going with have explained that people are losing out in net pay since 1st October because companies such as Parasol are "rolling up" (don't quite understand the term) any money that would be paid out between contracts, and therefore due to minimum wage they can't claim the expenses as before. They said that the pay between assignment is a right under the rules not that we should have to have pay held back to cover it.

Would this explain the increase in the fees charged or retained (not quite sure) by Parasol?
            ...and if so, surely this is getting around the whole point of what the new rules intended, to be paid for 4 weeks if not on contract
            Sorry, I should add, that before deciding on who to go with today, after speaking to 4 companies, non of them will hold back pay to cover between contracts.

Thanks
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Technofobe View Post
              Sorry, I should add, that before deciding on who to go with today, after speaking to 4 companies, non of them will hold back pay to cover between contracts.

Thanks
              Chris
              Hi Chris?

How is your umbrella funding the PBA? either your end client has agreed to cover the cost, your agency has agreed to take a hit on their margin, or the umbrella is paying it out of their own funds?

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
                Hi Chris?

How is your umbrella funding the PBA? either your end client has agreed to cover the cost, your agency has agreed to take a hit on their margin, or the umbrella is paying it out of their own funds?

Thanks

Steven
                If Parasol are not performing a scam, then why did they try to hide all this in "employment costs". No other company is doing this. I am still being robbed and it is illegal not to give the amount and purpose of any monies on a payslip. This is a scam. Every other contractor I have spoken too has no trouble, only Parasol. So....

Comment

Steven can you clarify for me , maybe I am calculating wrong but do you calculate employment costs at 13.8 % of invoice value OR 13.8 % of the balance after deducting your fee and the 136 LEL for NI contributions ?

If the fee and LEL deductions are made first then surely is is only employers NI the contractors are paying with nothing else included for PBA , SSP , SMP , HP ect ?

Comment

The margin we take is £27.50 a month. Using Geoff's example of a £500 a day contractor working 20 days in a single month the employment costs would be £1,126.60.

Comment

Originally posted by guayacan View Post
                      If Parasol are not performing a scam, then why did they try to hide all this in "employment costs". No other company is doing this. I am still being robbed and it is illegal not to give the amount and purpose of any monies on a payslip. This is a scam. Every other contractor I have spoken too has no trouble, only Parasol. So....
                      guyacan I've PM'ed you my direct details and you can call me direct or let me have a number you are available on today and a time you are free and I will have a senior memeber of the operations team call you and go through it with you if that would be of use?

Update

Sorry it looks like I can't PM you. My direct email is [email protected]
                      Last edited by Steven@Parasol; 10 November 2011, 09:59. Reason: updated

Comment

Working...
                      X