• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella recommendations

I recently closed down my LTD.

However, unexpectedly I am finding myself back in the contracting world for a short term.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good umbrella company?

I am looking for good service, quick response times, do not dawdle with payments and as little NI and Tax as possible, within the law (I am not looking for offshore and other loopholes).

Really just looking for a decent one.

Many thanks.

bee n using crystal for the passed 12 months, have no complaints, very good on tax & NI too

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
      I am looking for good service, quick response times, do not dawdle with payments and as little NI and Tax as possible, within the law
      Not asking for much then.

I've heard that Parasol are OK. Have a hunt around to find the one with the most liberal expenses policy and then rip it for all you are worth. You will still pay a lot more tax than a LTD though...
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

However, unexpectedly I am finding myself back in the contracting world for a short term.

I am looking for good service, quick response times, do not dawdle with payments and as little NI and Tax as possible, within the law (I am not looking for offshore and other loopholes).

Many thanks.
        You will be an employee of the umbrella company and as such will pay the same UK tax and NI as every other UK Employee the only difference being you can claim expenses which through any legal Umbrella will be mostly just mileage .

For what its worth Contractorumbrella are the best legal umbrella company

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          You will be an employee of the umbrella company and as such will pay the same UK tax and NI as every other UK Employee the only difference being you can claim expenses which through any legal Umbrella will be mostly just mileage .

For what its worth Contractorumbrella are the best legal umbrella company
          I used JMK Group recently, and had no complaints. It depends on the role that you are doing whether it can really benefit you. If you are not incurring a lot of expenses then maybe not worth going through an umbrella. You just have to make sure they are 'work related'. But each brolly has different opinions as to what they deem work related. you can also look on sites like freelance supermarket, or even on here to see reviews of the good ones.

Comment

Everyone at Contractor Umbrella always been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              Actually you will find you pay the same UK tax and NI as every other employee AND the employers NI. Big difference.

I used Parasol and found them fine, if a little annoying. For instance, they kept thinking they were employed by my client and refused to change things unless the client signed such and such.

I much prefer having my own ltd though.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pops;1176389

Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

We pass on all counts
                Fees are a percentage with a cap.
                Money back guarantee if we make an error.
                PM me for details if you require them.

Otherwise, use freelancersupermarket to see reviews and rankings. Good luck

Comment

Many thanks.
                  Contractor Calculator recently posted a good checklist as well. Link is here:

Choosing a contractor umbrella - checklist download

The most important thing is that you receive a proper contract of employment from your umbrella and a guarantee of your minimum hours.

A few key things to ask/keep in mind:

The most important thing to note is how the umbrella calculates your pay and their fees and how much you are actually being charged.

Also ask what extras are included, especially which insurance is included with the fee.

Don't trust anyone who tells you that you do not need to keep you expenses receipts and look for accreditation, e.g. an umbrella accredited by the FCSA, REC, APSCo etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
                    Don't trust anyone who tells you that you do not need to keep you expenses receipts and look for accreditation, e.g. an umbrella accredited by the FCSA, REC, APSCo etc.
                    FCSA? Who are they? Probably another AEMC type of outfit that is owned and run by a bunch of umbrella companies looking to promote their own brolly no doubt!!??

Comment

Working...
                    X