• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warning "No Worries Umbrella" - provided incorrect information, then refused client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning "No Worries Umbrella" - provided incorrect information, then refused client

This is a warning for any contractor considering joining "No Worries" Umbrella.

This is a long saga, so the basic issue is as follows;
    1) They provided incorrect information, could not justify that, and when questioned about these incorrect figures, they simply refused to deal with me! I was told I had upset their staff, simply by questioning their figures!
    2) It transpires that the owner and director of the company, Greg Hanton, lives in New Zealand, does not operate on UK hours, and is not subject to UK financial jurisdiction. The staff have to ask Greg for guidance, which will always take at least 24 hours.

I am starting a new contract, and wanted to use NW, as they provided the options of the cycle to work scheme and salary sacrifice pension.

I called their offices and asked for details. I was told that they would provide a sample payslip. When this arrived, the figures looked wrong and so I called the office to query the figures and ask for an explanation. When questioned, the person on the phone told me that she had used a figure from someone else's payslip, with a much lower daily rate. I said this did not seems correct, and was then told that the figure was '90%' to which I replied 90% of what? They had no answer for that!

I said that the figure quoted equated to a pension contribution of just over £36k, which looked like 90% of the UK maximum figure of £40k. I asked this, and was told that it was a requirement of their pension provider, Smart pension, so I called them and was told they had no problem with pension contributions up to the UK maximum of £40k.

So, I called no worries back again and explained that the figures look wrong, and that I should be able to pay the maximum of £40k. They still had no answer, so I was told they would contact Greg Hanton, the director, but that he was 'out of office'.

I received a couple of emails from Greg Hanton, who it transpired, lived and worked in New Zealand! Well outside the jurisdiction of the UK tax authorities!

The upshot of this exchange was that my figures and views on allowable pension contributions WAS CORRECT. However, because his staff were upset by my querying their incorrect figures, they would REFUSE to deal with me!

So, it seems that no one is ever allowed to question any figures from their staff and anyone that does will simply be removed. What a strange way to do business!

Secondly, how can someone in charge of a UK based payroll company be allowed to reside outside UK Jurisdiction? No doubt there are tax advantages that he can exploit by living in NZ, but none of these are accessible to UK contractors! Also, if there were ever any financial problems, the director would be completely inaccessible by the UK tax authorities. I am not saying that anything of that sort has happened, but it does seem strange that the FCSA, to whom they are a member, allow directors to reside outside the UK.

In conclusion, I simply say, be careful when dealing with "No Worries" and be aware that their staff will not accept any questions.

Hi Richard Kidd, I hope you day is going well. As I outlined on our phone call a few hours ago, it was decided the best course of action for our firm, No Worries Red Umbrella, would be for me to contact you regarding your questions after your condescending and uncompromising phone manner over the course of several phone calls directed at our staff members. Previous to our phone call, I had already advised you that we would not be able to take you on as it had been clearly communicated to me that none of our staff felt comfortable dealing with you. I know that you dispute this series of events, but my first priority will always be the safety and well-being of our staff.

As I explained to you, this is regrettable because we do have a very flexible pension system, and a popular cycle to work scheme. I note that before you hung up on one of our female staff members who had mentioned that our Pension scheme was run through Smart Pension that you said “its not like a lot of other Pension, ahh, Umbrella companies, and I presume its just because you get the appropriate kickbacks, but never mind, if you don’t want my money then that’s your problem!” [phone is then disconnected by caller], but be rest assured we don’t get any kickbacks from Smart Pension, we have always chosen partners based solely on who can provide the best product for our Umbrella workers.

I also note that although you had numerous opportunities when emailing and speaking with me to ask about it, that you thought a public forum would be the best place to lodge accusations that my moving to New Zealand is some sort of tax planning manoeuvre, but to the best of my knowledge people don’t move to New Zealand to avoid paying taxes. Maybe the Bahamas, Cayman Islands, or Monaco, but since you are inclined to fill in your own ideas of why I moved back to NZ I shall provide you with a little more background. The main events triggering the move was when my wife suddenly and tragically lost her sister leaving behind two small children, while her younger sister continues to battle an incurable disease, her aunty and mother were diagnosed with cancer, and my father began his battle with dementia. I don’t earn a single penny from No Worries Red Umbrella because I have income from other sources, but please don’t let my facts get in your way of your story. This is a very active forum, and I used to post of here years ago under GregCapitalCity which was really enjoyable, and in my experience, you really have to know your facts.

To be fair Richard, in all my dealings with you I have been responsive, polite, and answered all your questions. We are a small Umbrella firm working our hardest to operate in an industry that does not have the best reputation at times, and your condescending manner, threats, and posting in public forums with the specific aim of causing unreasonable reputational damage to our firm is hurtful and takes up precious time that could be better spent in other areas. I have already forwarded a full report of your interactions with our firm to the FCSA to support our response to the complaint you have lodged with them, and they are aware that all our call recordings are available to them.

Regards, Greg

Comment

Working...
    X