• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do Umbrella companies benefit from collecting VAT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you're a cheery bunch on here today What you have to bear in mind is that there are costs to an umbrella company that are associated with checking and processing expenses; these will be lost in April (assuming nothing changes between now and then) and therefore the loss from VAT on mileage will be absorbed leaving profits as they are.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Well you're a cheery bunch on here today What you have to bear in mind is that there are costs to an umbrella company that are associated with checking and processing expenses; these will be lost in April (assuming nothing changes between now and then) and therefore the loss from VAT on mileage will be absorbed leaving profits as they are.
      What a very cheery way of saying you'll be laying people off
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        What a very cheery way of saying I'm alright jack but the intern is fecked
        FTFY
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          What a very cheery way of saying you'll be laying people off
          I confess that we will be a couple of computers lighter and the lawyers will definitely get less work but the staff will be ok

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            Surely there will still be expenses to check and process, though? And if you've got to go through the SDC rigmarole then that's more work - or are you just going to deny all expenses?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Surely there will still be expenses to check and process, though? And if you've got to go through the SDC rigmarole then that's more work - or are you just going to deny all expenses?
              Even if we were to go through the SDC rigmarole (which following email exchanges with HMRC is becoming a bigger rigmarole than ever!!) we couldn't process tax relief at source anyway so things will just go back to the way they were about 15 years ago

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks for the insight Lisa
                I really was just genuinely curious, I had naturally assumed there would be something in it similar to FRS for you guys simply because you are processing VAT on behalf of HMRC.

@TheFaQQer
                Those figures are quite an eye opener!

So although off my original topic, lets assume these losses mount up and some go under or merge with others will the the remainder have to increase their margins?
                Will Accountants then do the same because the rates are currently very competitive with each other

If so then the loss of T&S is bad for all of us whether we can still claim it or not.
                So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                  Thanks for the insight Lisa
                  I really was just genuinely curious, I had naturally assumed there would be something in it similar to FRS for you guys simply because you are processing VAT on behalf of HMRC.

@TheFaQQer
                  Those figures are quite an eye opener!

So although off my original topic, lets assume these losses mount up and some go under or merge with others will the the remainder have to increase their margins?
                  Will Accountants then do the same because the rates are currently very competitive with each other

If so then the loss of T&S is bad for all of us whether we can still claim it or not.
                  Very difficult question to answer. Firstly, nothing has been finalised so, until the middle of this month, any kind of prediction is just speculation. HMRC's whole reasoning behind this legislation was to create a 'level playing field' and yet they have actually made things far less level than they were in the first place which leads me to think that they haven't quite finished.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X