• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kingston Brown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Serious question - how do you think that we can get the message out there? Who pointed you towards the scheme that you used? Lots of us on here are trying really hard to raise awareness but if people are acting on recommendations it's an uphill battle. Plus the scheme providers often seem extremely credible.
    Until we start seeing the likes of Jimmy Carr and the Googles of the world pay tax bills I don't think you will ever stop it.

Also without turning this into a political debate, I think a lot of people aren't overly happy with how their tax money is spent.

Comment

Serious question - how do you think that we can get the message out there? Who pointed you towards the scheme that you used? Lots of us on here are trying really hard to raise awareness but if people are acting on recommendations it's an uphill battle. Plus the scheme providers often seem extremely credible.
      Of course the schemes seem credible, the scheme providers are acting legally, it's the tax payers who carry the liability.

As long as there are people greedy or naive enough to think that some mass marketed scheme will allow them to pay little or no tax there will be people willing to sell to them.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        Of course the schemes seem credible, the scheme providers are acting legally, it's the tax payers who carry the liability.

As long as there are people greedy or naive enough to think that some mass marketed scheme will allow them to pay little or no tax there will be people willing to sell to them.
        Maybe that won't be the case for much longer HMRC intensifies offshore tax crackdown with five new sanctions - Citywire
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Or you could encourage them - get details of how the scheme 'works' and then pass it all over to those lovely people at HMRC who I am sure would love the opportunity to discuss things with them
          I doubt HMRC would do anything about it until they see tax returns, and then it's the feckless punters who will get their collars felt not the promoter.

I bet none of the schemes, that are around now, have been disclosed under DOTAS. There are big fines for non-disclosure so HMRC should be pursuing all these promoters but I bet they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            I doubt HMRC would do anything about it until they see tax returns, and then it's the feckless punters who will get their collars felt not the promoter.

I bet none of the schemes, that are around now, have been disclosed under DOTAS. There are big fines for non-disclosure so HMRC should be pursuing all these promoters but I bet they're not.
            You could well be right but nothing will really change until a big promoter gets taken down - I live in hope

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

You could well be right but nothing will really change until a big promoter gets taken down - I live in hope
              I attended a pitch yesterday that had the usual QC opinion, 100% compliant, all risks explained and dealt with, nonsense.

I really fear that as the squeeze comes on, more people will be attracted to such errant rubbish.

Perhaps I shouldn't complain as they are probably my future clients?

I do puzzle over how the people selling this stuff sleep at night though.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I don't puzzle over it, to them it's a viable business model.

The thing that truly puzzles me is that there are people greedy and daft enough to think that they can get away with using these schemes when they've so clearly been in the firing line for years.
                It was apparent in 2008 that the schemes were dead meat and the scheme users were going to in a fight to the death with HMRC, it really boggles my mind that people have been signing up to these schemes since then. Hell I've seen posts on CUK where people being knobbled over past scheme use are looking for new ones to commit suicide with.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  I attended a pitch yesterday that had the usual QC opinion, 100% compliant, all risks explained and dealt with, nonsense.
                  No doubt they also claimed it was exempt from disclosure under DOTAS.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    I don't puzzle over it, to them it's a viable business model.

The thing that truly puzzles me is that there are people greedy and daft enough to think that they can get away with using these schemes when they've so clearly been in the firing line for years.
                    It was apparent in 2008 that the schemes were dead meat and the scheme users were going to in a fight to the death with HMRC, it really boggles my mind that people have been signing up to these schemes since then. Hell I've seen posts on CUK where people being knobbled over past scheme use are looking for new ones to commit suicide with.
                    I often wonder if it's greed or ignorance - we have calls from people who have no understanding of the tax system whatsoever e.g. don't know the basic rate of tax and they're prime targets for the snake oil salesmen because they don't know any better

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

I'm always amused when posters say 'So pleased I found this forum, what do I do with this APN???'.

Shame you didn't find it when you were supposed to do due diligence, isn't it?
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X