• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brolly question - Have I been done?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brolly question - Have I been done?

I am currently contracting under an umbrella company, things have gone fine so far.

However, last week they paid me (as usual) on the Thursday. Then again, the same amount the following day.

Thanks a lot, but I smelt a fish so called them to let them know.

They'd had some system glitch (more likely human error) which meant that all payments had been duplicated for last week. No problem, says Brolly, they'll simply deduct the net paid amount from this week's payment.

All sounds good to me on the face of it, but now I'm thinking I have paid their margin (and Employers NI) twice for the same week - Have I been shafted?

Originally posted by Ramrod View Post
    I am currently contracting under an umbrella company, things have gone fine so far.

However, last week they paid me (as usual) on the Thursday. Then again, the same amount the following day.

They'd had some system glitch (more likely human error) which meant that all payments had been duplicated for last week. No problem, says Brolly, they'll simply deduct the net paid amount from this week's payment.

All sounds good to me on the face of it, but now I'm thinking I have paid their margin (and Employers NI) twice for the same week - Have I been shafted?
    The short answer is - no, probably not. Although you received the same net payment twice (most likely caused by a glitch with their bank) the gross payment can only have been processed through the PAYE system once as it is impossible to put a payment through twice within the same payroll period. If you are in any way unsure then ask to see your P11 which shows a record of all the payments made to you in the tax year as well as the deductions made for tax and NI
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, that certainly makes me breath easier regarding tax/NI I've paid.

I've still paid their margin (fixed fee each week) twice though eh?

I'm not going to get bent out of shape for the sake of £27...

For the record the brolly is Orange Genie, not sure what kind of rep they have round these parts but I've found them pretty good.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, that certainly makes me breath easier regarding tax/NI I've paid.

I've still paid their margin (fixed fee each week) twice though eh?

I'm not going to get bent out of shape for the sake of £27...

For the record the brolly is Orange Genie, not sure what kind of rep they have round these parts but I've found them pretty good.
        glad to help no I don't think you have paid the margin twice - from what you've said I think it's just that your net payment was processed twice through your umbrella company's bank account. Did they not give you an explanation about the error when you queried it with them??

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

For ease of figures, lets just say....

Last week:
          Revenue = £2000
          Less margin £27
          Less Emp NI etc £173

Amount due for payroll = £1800
          PAYE etc then applied, Nett pay £1300

Then following day another £1300 paid to me (in error).

This week... (did a couple extra hours)
          Revenue = £2400
          Less margin £27
          Less Emp NI etc £208

Amount due for payroll = £2165
          PAYE etc then applied, nett = £1560

-overpay from last week = -£1300
          Nett pay = £260.

From my sausage fingered calculations I appear to have paid the £27 margin for w/c 9/3/15 twice.

Or have I missed something...

Comment

Or have I missed something...
            Imagine you repay the £1300 now. You've only paid for last week's margin once.

Then this week, you get £1560. You've paid this week's margin once.

That's what you've effectively done - you get £260 but you're only paying the margin once.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Smelt a rat, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

That's what you've effectively done - you get £260 but you're only paying the margin once.
                This. You have had two weeks earnings processed through payroll and a margin has been taken for each of those two weeks. Because of the duplication of the net payment in week 1 you will have received 3 net payments which total the net payment for the 2 weeks. The correction to the error would seem to be correct so I really don't think you have anything to worry about other than the fact that this is the explanation you should have been provided with by your umbrella company

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

In other words.... yes, I have missed something.

You would not believe how many times I've crunched these numbers in my head and tried to understand it, but somehow it's taken until now for the penny to drop.

Thanks folks.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Smelt a rat, surely?
                    No. I could definitely smell fish.

Perhaps that's the problem I should be worrying about.

Comment

Working...
                    X