• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An Agency's View

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    It works both ways. Ex bankers never do well in public contracts. They are far too desperate to JFDI rather than take their time to understand matters and work through the process.

I bounce in and out of Public Sector roles as I see fit and I would say that the PS guys are far better at over architecting than most of the private sector clients these days.
    FTFY
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
      FTFY
      Architecture is a fine line though. Personally I would prefer over engineered to the typical sticky back plastic approach I see elsewhere....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Architecture is a fine line though. Personally I would prefer over engineered to the typical sticky back plastic approach I see elsewhere....
        Over engineered means generally late, too expensive and not flexible enough to meet the business need for speed to market. Constant struggle....

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Over engineered means generally late, too expensive and not flexible enough to meet the business need for speed to market. Constant struggle....
          PS mainly doesn't have speed to market. They mainly have working until hardware/software is obsolete.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No it doesn't

Those symptoms come from failing to plan properly, assuming you can bypass procurement rules or process and letting senior stake holders set your projects delivery goals despite common sense and facts on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              No it doesn't

Those symptoms come from failing to plan properly, assuming you can bypass procurement rules or process and letting senior stake holders set your projects delivery goals despite common sense and facts on the ground.
              LOL don't you just love this purist blue sky crap - welcome to the real world

Comment

LOL don't you just love this purist blue sky crap - welcome to the real world
                It can be that way though, depends on what you actually manage and own, providing you are any good in the first place, of course.

I agree 90% of the time it isn't like that though.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Averaging 5 calls a day the past two weeks with regards to public sector roles - same place for the most part. I know they'll not fill them.

I assume either they'll end up recruiting plenty of fresh faced idealistic ( till reality beats them to a pulp ) grads as permies, outsource to an Indian IT company or more probably, pressure HR to agree to their view that key contractors are in fact outside based upon the information they've put into whatever tool emerges because otherwise a hell of a lot of arses will get kicked when the projects fail as contractors leave en masse.

Comment

so this thread which had a catch title turned into a waste of 5 mins trawling through.

I think people are missing the elephant in the room here.

PS will offer quite a few opportunities for contractors seeing as many are jumping ship.

I don't buy the notion that decent contractors will not be interested. Contractors go where the money/opportunities are... Yes it may look as though the best money may be had in the Private sector, but watch the rates decline as more bodies competing.

Supply and Demand!

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
                      so this thread which had a catch title turned into a waste of 5 mins trawling through.

I think people are missing the elephant in the room here.

PS will offer quite a few opportunities for contractors seeing as many are jumping ship.

I don't buy the notion that decent contractors will not be interested. Contractors go where the money/opportunities are... Yes it may look as though the best money may be had in the Private sector, but watch the rates decline as more bodies competing.

Supply and Demand!
                      Good Luck

Contractors go where the money/opportunities are...
                      They do indeed, its called the "bottom line"
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X