• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector IR35 consultation launched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westtester View Post
    Speaking from experience, there is no renegotiation to be had. As contract reviews are no longer acceptable, there is no way to prove conclusively that you are outside IR35 to their satisfaction. No rate rises are being considered either, it really is a take it or leave it situation. I think the threat of fines for non-compliance is driving the intransigent position.

With the alternative being the umbrella company route or joining the payroll, pretty much every contractor is going to be leaving. I've already gone back to a private sector gig.
    Good for you bud
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      This is where it gets fun.... Go and read example 3 on page 14

They can't employ contractors via the consultancies... Only permie staff can be realistically used....
      I read that example and envisaged something like :
      Now: contractor 500pd. Consultant 100pd
      Future: contractor subs to consultancy and gets £600, consultancy collects extra tax and then charges out at £1000...or more)

Contractor gets more to offset their extra tax
      Consultancy get monopoly of resources

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        I read that example and envisaged something like :
        Now: contractor 500pd. Consultant 100pd
        Future: contractor subs to consultancy and gets £600, consultancy collects extra tax and then charges out at £1000...or more)

Contractor gets more to offset their extra tax
        Consultancy get monopoly of resources
        Do you work in the PS at the moment?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          What does that mean? Does that mean that a QDOS review could place you outside IR35 but hard cheese, you're still inside as far as they're concerned?
          Yes. Well to be specific, 'independent' contract reviews are not considered valid. So the money I shelled out for a public sector QDos review was wasted. I think a review from HMRC themselves would be considered valid but I don't know anyone who's ever tried that.

Comment

They can't employ contractors via the consultancies... Only permie staff can be realistically used....
            The consultancy route was considered as an option as my last site. They were basically asked to take the IR35 risk on behalf of the PS client. The answer was a resounding 'no thanks' and the meeting was over pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Do you work in the PS at the moment?
              Until recently I did. Before I left there were convo's from some consultancies looking at the feasibility of either fixed term/perm or subbing in relation to contractors . This was just after the initial consultation paper was published.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                Until recently I did. Before I left there were convo's from some consultancies looking at the feasibility of either fixed term/perm or subbing in relation to contractors . This was just after the initial consultation paper was published.
                Fixed term is the standard way of getting perms in now so it's not really in relation to contractors as such.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Read it carefully - the public sector client can use the big four and pay more. The big four then takes people on as (no-longer) disguised permies. They could even offer a decent enough rate increase to cover that if they wanted to. Contractor gets the increase to cover the tax bill, big 4 gets the profit, public sector gets the project delivered (at a higher cost).

Trebles all round.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Fixed term is the standard way of getting perms in now so it's not really in relation to contractors as such.
                    Shows how long I've been in contracting!

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                      Read it carefully - the public sector client can use the big four and pay more. The big four then takes people on as (no-longer) disguised permies. They could even offer a decent enough rate increase to cover that if they wanted to. Contractor gets the increase to cover the tax bill, big 4 gets the profit, public sector gets the project delivered (at a higher cost).

Trebles all round.
                      This is what I've been (badly) alluding to.

Comment

Working...
                      X