• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance bill 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor body backs T&S loophole closure :: Contractor UK

hmmm..

Comment

In think their understanding (or at least how they've communicated what they understand) is wrong. Indeed, were it necessary to consider SDC, additionally, when outside of IR35 it would render the carve outs for IR35 in clauses (4) and (5) moot, because SDC would be the determining factor, not IR35. I suspect the correct interpretation is a much narrower one, in relation to MSCs (i.e. PSCs that are being managed by umbrella companies, rather than offering umbrella services directly), and not in relation to PSCs in general (indeed, if the MSC legislation applies, it is that legislation that must be complied with, not IR35). If I'm right - and it will take an lawyer to confirm, but it needs to be confirmed for obvious reasons - then whomever designed that press release needs a slap.

Anyway, If I were IPSE or similar, I'd be following up on this, because it is either a very misleading press release, or a very serious issue indeed.

Comment

I wouldn't describe them as a "contractor body". They're a body of accountants and umbrellas.

Unfortunately it's in the interests of brollies to push the "we're all in it together" message, and spread a bit of uncertainty.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          I wouldn't describe them as a "contractor body". They're a body of accountants and umbrellas.

Unfortunately it's in the interests of brollies to push the "we're all in it together" message, and spread a bit of uncertainty.
          Either way - but especially if they've done it deliberately - they need to be called out on this if they're wrong (e.g. by IPSE), because it will otherwise have the desired effect of propagating misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Either way - but especially if they've done it deliberately - they need to be called out on this if they're wrong (e.g. by IPSE), because it will otherwise have the desired effect of propagating misinformation.
            Confirmation from IPSE

https://www.ipse.co.uk/news/contract...n-direction-or

and the original article has been corrected too.

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/001...e_closure.html
            Last edited by mudskipper; 5 April 2016, 20:09.

Comment

Excellent, job well done.

Comment

It would be good if we could get the CUK article pulled or corrected. I'll PM admin, unless someone has done that already?

I wouldn't be too surprised if this was a case of FSCA reading what they wanted to see, without thinking about it too carefully. Perhaps it was an honest mistake. Either way, it does nothing for their reputation. I've seen other umbrella companies trying to spread FUD in the hope that their clients won't switch to a Ltd company. TBH, I doubt many will, because there are other factors, but it won't help their cause to lie about the situation.

Comment

and the original article has been corrected too.

Contractor body backs T&S loophole closure :: Contractor UK
                  Wow, that was quick Thanks.

Edit: I see their clarification now refers to managed PSCs (i.e. MSCs), which I concur is the correct interpretation, in my non-expert opinion.
                  Last edited by jamesbrown; 5 April 2016, 20:15.

Comment

Edit: I see their clarification now refers to managed PSCs (i.e. MSCs), which I concur is the correct interpretation, in my non-expert opinion.
                    Indeedy.

Comment

The article was corrected earlier today to add the "managed" clarification.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X