• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will contracting go out with a bang or a whimper?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm not sure this is even a comparable situation. For two reasons:

1)MPs are in full-time employment, and their employment contract allows claiming certain things back as expenses; every employer has slightly different policies so MPs for example don't get 1st-class train travel. By contrast we are operating as limited companies, or as freelancers, for multiple clients.

2)Travelling is a mandatory part of an MP's job. They cannot (I think) choose not to do it. By contrast, contractors choose where they work and live and do not have to take work which requires them to work away.

Not saying I agree with the T&S changes (I don't) just that "you get it, why can't we" is not a strong argument outside of Facebook meme graphics.
    How are MPs in full-time employment? They are not employees (although they are taxed as such), they are office holders and, indeed, their offices can and do employ others. They didn't receive any pay until the early 20th C., and even now it's considered an allowance rather than a salary. Also, Malcolm Rifkind may think he's self-employed, but he isn't (at least, not as an MP ).

Comment

MPs receive a fixed salary, which is liable to income tax. Sounds like employment to me.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wasn't meaning how they are employed, I was talking about their need to live away from home and the resulting need for expenses. Add to that the possible short term nature of an MP's stint in a constituency and you have a number of similarities to what contractors face when working away from home.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

MPs receive a fixed salary, which is liable to income tax. Sounds like employment to me.
          It doesn't really matter what it sounds like to you, it's a factual question. They pay tax through PAYE, but they are not employees. See here, for example.

Comment

Or it sounds like they are office holders, remunerated for the office they hold.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

1)MPs are in full-time employment, and their employment contract allows claiming certain things back as expenses; every employer has slightly different policies so MPs for example don't get 1st-class train travel. By contrast we are operating as limited companies, or as freelancers, for multiple clients.
              So I guess I should write an employment contract that allows for claiming certain things back as expenses, and then HMRC will leave me alone?

The tax proposed is not on our limited companies, but on their employees and/or office-holders. There is a strong parallel between contractors and MPs.

Supervision, direction, and control?

When in that House M.P.’s divide,
              If they’ve a brain and cerebellum, too,
              They’ve got to leave that brain outside,
              And vote just as their leaders tell ’em to.

Comment

But everyone knows we're PSCs or temporary employees using a Ltd as a vehicle for convenience
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

But everyone knows we're PSCs or temporary employees using a Ltd as a vehicle for convenience
                  That is what HMRC think. And only their opinion matters.

They have APNs and bank account raiding they can deploy at will.

Comment

Doesn't matter.

We're either employees/office-holders of our Ltd or of our client, but they are taking away expenses.

MPs are office-holders, and get to keep their expenses.

The situation isn't identical, but the parallel is strong enough to show the injustice of it.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      Doesn't matter.

We're either employees/office-holders of our Ltd or of our client, but they are taking away expenses.

MPs are office-holders, and get to keep their expenses.

The situation isn't identical, but the parallel is strong enough to show the injustice of it.
                      I don't think you want to be arguing that we're office holders. Office holder = IR35 caught.

Comment

Working...
                      X