• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Back to first principles....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Add to that a case study of the aspiring self-employed cleaner who incorporates to ltd with ambitions of growing the business. They may initially be on low rates, perhaps even sub-NMW, but why should they be penalised for this personal choice?
    The reason is that people delivery drivers - (remember Citi Link ) and car valets are forced down the self-employed route, when they should be employees or at least temps were the NMW is guaranteed.

If we can advocate they get paid properly then other low paid workers e.g. carers will have to get proper payment.

In the case of the cleaner they could easily be exempt if they employed at least one non-family member for 8 hours a week. (This gives them leeway to employ an 18 year old on NMW on a Saturday.)

I've met people who built up digital and marketing agencies who didn't pay themselves when they were building up their businesses but they had employees not related to them.

Also if you have direct clients while you may want to incorporate you don't have to. It's only people who use recruitment agencies who have to.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 25 August 2015, 00:54.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The reason is that people delivery drivers - (remember Citi Link ) and car valets are forced down the self-employed route, when they should be employees or at least temps were the NMW is guaranteed.
      Not just NMW but other statutory rights too.

Maybe my post wasn't clear - I am more awake now so will try again . The idea that a pay threshold can be set only above which T&S can be claimed would a) be seen as grossly unfair, b) penalise the aspiring individual who intentionally takes on low-paid contracts to build a business (the additional test case I proposed).

What I was advocating, if clients are to become IR35 gatekeepers, is to associate any declaration of SDC by the client with a risk of employment claims against the client.

I believe this addresses both issues:
      - low-paid workers forced into self-employed primarily to avoid statutory employment rights.
      - genuine contractors being forced into IR35 by risk-averse clients pre-judging SDC because it carries no downside.

I would like to imagine some support/collaboration from the unions too.

Note, for the avoidance of doubt, I am not advocating employment rights for contractors, just that clients need to include this in their risk assessment before throwing us to the IR35 dogs.

Comment

Not just NMW but other statutory rights too.

Maybe my post wasn't clear - I am more awake now so will try again . The idea that a pay threshold can be set only above which T&S can be claimed would a) be seen as grossly unfair, b) penalise the aspiring individual who intentionally takes on low-paid contracts to build a business (the additional test case I proposed).

What I was advocating, if clients are to become IR35 gatekeepers, is to associate any declaration of SDC by the client with a risk of employment claims against the client.

I believe this addresses both issues:
        - low-paid workers forced into self-employed primarily to avoid statutory employment rights.
        - genuine contractors being forced into IR35 by risk-averse clients pre-judging SDC because it carries no downside.

I would like to imagine some support/collaboration from the unions too.

Note, for the avoidance of doubt, I am not advocating employment rights for contractors, just that clients need to include this in their risk assessment before throwing us to the IR35 dogs.
        The thing is a company that wants to make use of bogus self employment will just claim all their staff are outside of SD&C... Its probably not difficult to do that and still have control of your staff when they are dependent on the company to get work the following day / week.

While we fear that the default mode for many companies will be everyone is inside IR35 due to SDorC, I'm sure a lot of firms would like to argue that their staff are outside SDorC to avoid those costs and rights.
        Last edited by eek; 25 August 2015, 07:45.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The thing is a company that wants to make use of bogus self employment will just claim all their staff are outside of SD&C... Its probably not difficult to do that and still have control of your staff when they are dependent on the company to get work the following day / week.

While we fear that the default mode for many companies will be everyone is inside IR35 due to SDorC, I'm sure a lot of firms would like to argue that their staff are outside SDorC to avoid those costs and rights.
          If the workforce is judged by HMRC to be outside IR35 then I am comfortable with that.

Comment

If the workforce is judged by HMRC to be outside IR35 then I am comfortable with that.
            I don't think HMG / HMRC would be as that is the cause of a race to the bottom in industries such as couriers and care workers...

Comment

The issue we have is HMRC is going to argue every business who uses self-employed workers has then under SD or C.

If we can get them to distinguish between different groups of people especially the low paid it will help us.

Comment

The issue we have is HMRC is going to argue every business who uses self-employed workers has then under SD or C.

If we can get them to distinguish between different groups of people especially the low paid it will help us.
                Much more important to make sure that it is S,D AND C that is used.

Comment

Bearing in mind most of us are on 10K a year...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Bearing in mind most of us are on 10K a year...
                    If we had to take NMW to be left alone we would probably do so.

Comment

Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
                      Much more important to make sure that it is S,D AND C that is used.
                      All case law is based on NOT subject to SD or C (which is nearly the same but not quite). The problem is that the current phrase is under SD or C with the NOT removed.

You can see how its occurred,

As the sentence says

people will NOT be able to claim expenses if subject to SD or C (any one puts you in).

When what we really want is something like

people will be able to claim expenses if NOT subject to SD or C (not subject to one of them puts you out).
                      Last edited by eek; 25 August 2015, 09:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X