• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you written to your MP yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Still now't from mine.

You may have to remind them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Got standard reply from treasury which ended along the lines of - we need to sort out the deficit.

Which means they refuse to understand the fact that people working around the country sort out regional skills shortages.

They aim to stop "normal commuting" being paid before tax.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Got standard reply from treasury which ended along the lines of - we need to sort out the deficit.

Which means they refuse to understand the fact that people working around the country sort out regional skills shortages.

They aim to stop "normal commuting" being paid before tax.
        I'm with them on stopping normal commuting being paid before tax. But it's not normal commuting to get up at 4:30 on a monday, travel a couple of hundred miles, staying in a hotel 4 nights of the week and then travel back. Its also not feasible to expect a contractor to uproot his/her family each time the temporary workplace shifts.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          I'm with them on stopping normal commuting being paid before tax. But it's not normal commuting to get up at 4:30 on a monday, travel a couple of hundred miles, staying in a hotel 4 nights of the week and then travel back. Its also not feasible to expect a contractor to uproot his/her family each time the temporary workplace shifts.
          +1

Lunchtime meals shouldn't be claimable either - I don't buy the packed lunch argument.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I got a response from mine. Some guff about accepting LtdCo is needed for some people but the need to tackle TMI etc. Ran along the lines wait for the consultation to conclude

I do however have an appointment to see my MP but not until the end of Nov!

Need to impress upon them that the noises coming from the discussion/consultation doesn't look good.

May achieve nothing but at least I will have tried.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              I think if you can reasonably anticipate a project going on for more than a few months, and simply rent, are relatively unattached and have few furnishings to move, it can work out cost-effective to move. However, it is a risk, as the client could always bin you well before, for whatever reason, and in the end commuting and subsistence are, IMO, costs of working, so to me they should remain tax-deductible expenses. The current 24 month rule is one of the less moronic things the govt has concocted in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                +1

Lunchtime meals shouldn't be claimable either - I don't buy the packed lunch argument.
                They know you can always make a packed lunch in a hotel and that all offices are near supermarkets.....

Comment

I have written to our local politician (and went to see him in Westminster), George Osborne, David Gauke several times and Lord Feldman several times - if you do get a response it's something generic from one of the HMRC bods but, for the most part, you get squat
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Just curious if anyone has tried Douglas Carswell or Steve Baker, who are likely to be ideologically against these measures to begin with? I would think on that basis that they're less likely to trot out the same standardised nonsense, providing that they reply.

Comment

Its nice to know that all our MP's benefit from travel and subsistence expenses way more than any of us do yet they fail to appreciate that we have to work away from home just like they do! The big difference being that for 6 months that could be London and then the next 6 months could be Edinburgh
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X