• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# Developer, best learning route?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all. News that my boss may take on an mvvm contractor for a month or so & I can sit with them asking a million questions for 8 hours a day which I'm sure they'll love...

Will be beneficial for me though

I'm also going to take a MS certification course at my local college.

Won't be going anywhere for another year or so as I don't think I could match my salary anywhere else atm.

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
        I think it's mainly because of the introverted techy stereotype, where most developers are more comfortable in front of an IDE than talking to someone.
        Or maybe it's because they're busy working.

It's not that easy to teach someone how to code, well I suppose someone could teach but it would take lots of time. It's not like you can spend 5 minutes with someone every week and they're an expert after a couple of months.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Or maybe it's because they're busy working.

It's not that easy to teach someone how to code, well I suppose someone could teach but it would take lots of time. It's not like you can spend 5 minutes with someone every week and they're an expert after a couple of months.
          I've had this conversation with previous employers. Yes I can document what I've done but no I can't teach him C and the solaris API, he's gonna have to do some background reading.

It's different if you're hired to train of course, and I've never minded sharing my expertise with someone who makes an effort to learn stuff by themselves. That can be quite rewarding as you watch them come on and generally after a while you end up with someone who can take some of the load off you.
          Last edited by doodab; 10 February 2014, 18:43.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
          X