• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Archive Media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    If it's long term backup with infrequent access then perhaps Amazon Glacier is an option.
    Nah, physical hard drives are still much cheaper. I don't need access anywhere via the net, nor the hassle of uploading it all and teaching my mum how it works.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A friend of mine has just had his NAS corrupt the data on his backups, even though it's RAIDed. RAID will only protect your data if the drive dies cleanly and wholly.

There is an interesting article about "bitrot" here.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        A friend of mine has just had his NAS corrupt the data on his backups, even though it's RAIDed. RAID will only protect your data if the drive dies cleanly and wholly.

There is an interesting article about "bitrot" here.
        Yep. RAID is NOT a substitute for backups.

I can't get over how many people don't seem to realise this.

RAID controllers themselves have been known to throw a wobbly and corrupt your disks beyond all hope.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X