• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

video monitoring over broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video monitoring over broadband

Ok.

So ZeitMater has dementia, mostly memory loss rather than Alzheimer's as such.

There'll be visits at 9:30, 12:30, and 16:30 by some oik or other to try and make sure she hasn't burned the house down.

As a fan of the technofix, how do I go about putting web addressable cameras (or whatever) about the house* to check on wot's going on?

TIA.

<ZG in "trying to earn a crust whilst worrying a lot" mode.>

*Not in the bathroom, however that is where ZM has fallen over quite a lot.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Ok.

So ZeitMater has dementia, mostly memory loss rather than Alzheimer's as such.

There'll be visits at 9:30, 12:30, and 16:30 by some oik or other to try and make sure she hasn't burned the house down.

As a fan of the technofix, how do I go about putting web addressable cameras (or whatever) about the house* to check on wot's going on?

TIA.

<ZG in "trying to earn a crust whilst worrying a lot" mode.>

*Not in the bathroom, however that is where ZM has fallen over quite a lot.
    NetGear do some wireless stuff and you can view on your smartphone

Video Monitoring

Also, Broadband Buyer has a kit and instructions

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Feat..._campaign=2101
    We ( brother and I ) were looking into this earlier in the year but Dad refused to let us do it so we have it on hold at the mo.

Let me know how you get on

HTH
    Last edited by Bellona; 22 January 2014, 10:27. Reason: wrong link!
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

I bought a small CCTV system from these folks, I'm sure they must do webcams too:

CCTV Cameras and Systems, Spy Cameras, Security Surveillance Cameras & Tiny Pinhole Cameras

Comment

I've used the D-link cameras with success. They can be controlled (i.e. pointed at different parts of the room) via a web application or phone app. They also have a night vision mode too which is quite handy.
        You can have a two way conversation with some of them (not the one which I've used)
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I looked at X10 kit a few years ago and there's all sorts of home automation options, open front door remotely, webcam and audio built into door to screen visitors etc. For pure internal screening I'd have thought a couple of webcams with homewatch software would do the trick. Homewatch DSLCam - A Sophisticated WebCam Surveillance System - Windows 8 Downloads

Comment

Easy peasy - how many do you need? For one, pass the address through your router. For several, run an app (my synology NAS has one built in that also records) and pass the IP for the app through your router. I'm lucky enough to be a Zen ISP customer, and have 8 IPs, so my cameras have dedicated external addresses.

Google 'nannycam' for ideas.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

^^ sorry, that should have been homewatcher Free Download HomeWatcher

Comment

spy-c-tank

its a basic robot with a web cam, looks quite good. I'm thinking about this for other half's Dad who has dementia. I'm thinking it might be useful to locate her Dad as he often forgets his mobile or how to answer his landline.

Dirt cheap to.

Balls, looks like you can't access it over the internet.
                Last edited by woohoo; 22 January 2014, 21:50. Reason: google foo let me down.

Comment

Depends how much you want to spend.

I have an 8 port POE+ (power over ethernet from the router to the camera) switch for my 4 external IP cameras, but the same tech can work internally.

Switch from scan.co.uk
                  Cameras from networkwebcams.co.uk

It was very easy to setup.

For external access you need to setup the router to port forward to the IP of the cameras.

My setup wasn't cheap, coming in around £1800 for 4 Full HD cameras, the cabling and the switch.

Can even watch it on my phone.
                  Last edited by Scrag Meister; 27 January 2014, 10:36.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                  X