• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I do with an old xp machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old core 2 Duo Dell XP desktop is essentially a server now running Windows 7. I found it's faster with W7 than XP, so that's not something to worry about.

My intent was always to put some kind of Linux on there; if Linux ought to be able to do one thing well it's working as a server, sharing files, running VMs and managing user accounts etc. etc., and the price is right. But I've never been able to find a sensible solution, because the Linux world doesn't understand that some people aren't interested in setting up computers as a hobby. Linux probably would be the way, but expect to waste lots of time experimenting with different distros (because nobody will tell you what the differences are), and endlessly googling to find the incomprehensible command lines necessary to set simple things up.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Put this on it.

Home | elementary OS

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
        Agreed but xp may become highly vulnerable
        Then run it in a virtual machine
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
          I'll need to work out what that is. You have given me an idea though in that we do need CCTV Could I use it for that?
          I don't see why not, someone I know just bulk buys cheap £1 webcams from china and uses them for cctv, DIY can work pretty well
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            I don't see why not, someone I know just bulk buys cheap £1 webcams from china and uses them for cctv, DIY can work pretty well
            I saw some free software called I-spy

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Is linux an option for you? Or FreeBSD?
              Please, let's keep Linux and BSD for the IT literate only, like in the good old days!
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
              X