• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple to use website engine for listing and selling crafty goods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nope which is why I need to find something. Its not what I do and as I have no interest in small scale standard websites or facebook I just want options. Something that allows her to upload an image from her phone, add a small amount of text and attach a buy button would be perfect but I don't have a clue where to begin looking.
    Look at cubecart then, as stated above :-)
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Look at cubecart then, as stated above :-)
      The issue with doing it yourself is that you need to do more to drive traffic towards your website - if someone searches for "handmade jewellery" then you'll be some way down the list if anywhere.

If you register with a marketplace, then at least you might be able to get traffic to your stuff through their search engine.

I'd still recommend having your own site as well (and if you can sell through there as well then fantastic), but you need somewhere that people can find you easily like Etsy / Folksy / MISI / Artfire (OK, maybe not the last two).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you can deal with the hassle of pricks returning everything that they buy because they don't understand the concept of "hand-made", and you fit the right profile, you could also try Not On The High Street, but you'd need some kind of website as well to show what you can do.

And they are very picky about what they take. They will also ALWAYS side with the customer - a friend had £150 worth of hand-made cards returned because the customer didn't like the design. The same design that is on the website and they knew when they ordered them. If they were mass produced, then you could handle it, but to have spent a week busting your arse making them all by hand only to have them returned isn't nice.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Once you have somewhere to sell, then you can put things on places like Craftjuice (run by a friend of mine) to advertise them for free - but you need a link to where to buy things.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I used wordpress (with woocommerce plugin) to build a website for my wife's business, selling a dozen or so products, intergrated with online payment (paypal initally for credit/debit card, even without a paypal account - will change to another processing firm when it starts taking a reasonable number of online payments).

I'm not a web developer/code monkey, but had some experience maintaining an existing wordpress site - updating versions, adding content, etc.

It was fairly straight forward to build a site from scratch. Just need a decent wordpress theme and a few plugins. Once it's up, adding products is easy enough.

Comment

Working...
            X