• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you spend on a test/dev server?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid drives

For multi-VMs I'd look at a hybrid SSD / spinning disk solution.

A common VM pattern of usage is that the density of hits on a relatively small % of your storage is high, but there is still need to access more bulky data. Also newish hybrids "learn" access patterns and are particularly good at OS booting, especially Windows, so starting VMs ought to be quicker.

Pure SSDs are of course faster, but cost per Gb is way higher.
    My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
      For multi-VMs I'd look at a hybrid SSD / spinning disk solution.

A common VM pattern of usage is that the density of hits on a relatively small % of your storage is high, but there is still need to access more bulky data. Also newish hybrids "learn" access patterns and are particularly good at OS booting, especially Windows, so starting VMs ought to be quicker.

Pure SSDs are of course faster, but cost per Gb is way higher.
      Some modern SAS controllers let you use SSD as a sort of expanded cache / write accelerator. The LSI ones seem to be particularly good.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Some modern SAS controllers let you use SSD as a sort of expanded cache / write accelerator. The LSI ones seem to be particularly good.
        My laptop has that using Intel Rapid Store.
        Its fine up until a point then it completely borks my machine and forces me into rebooting it, this usually happens after using very data and disk intensive activities especially with VMs and then trying to switch to doing something else.

Personally I wold stick to a largish SSD for all rapid access stuff and another large SSD for everything else, alternatively use a fast and large HDD for general data

Given that you can now pick up 512GB of SSD for £250, using a very small one as a cache doesn't (IMO) make sense unless you really are pushed for budget
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          You'll easily spend that much in a month renting rack space, a dedicated server, or even on EC2 (as the OP mentioned) which only makes sense if you are serious about a plan B that needs that sort of horsepower online 24x7 with "real" outgoing bandwidth and DC levels of resilience. If you don't need it then you're pissing money up the wall.
          OT slightly, but if you don't need the horsepower of a dedicated server but still want a DC-hosted Linux box with root access then perhaps look at an unmanaged VPS - Low End Box - Cheap VPS Hosting Providers Listing & Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Just got the X4600M2 today, fired it up with 8 cores, 32gb RAM, 2x73gb SAS and it's sat at 533w while ESX 5.1 is installing.
            That's not great power-wise then, is it
            eek's i7 has 4 physical cores but 8 logical ones with HT, even if we were talking about physical 8 cores from Intel, which I am still eagerly awaiting on a consumer/prosumer platform, it should be around 250 at load.

Having said that, my build is very likely to idle much so I am more than happy to shell out a little extra for Haswell, likewise with SSDs (althouugh only a few watts here).

Any sort of hosting has no chance of being cheaper, as the also have to pay the electricity, A/C, staff etc
            The whole cloud thing is really overhyped

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
              That's not great power-wise then, is it
              eek's i7 has 4 physical cores but 8 logical ones with HT, even if we were talking about physical 8 cores from Intel, which I am still eagerly awaiting on a consumer/prosumer platform, it should be around 250 at load.

Having said that, my build is very likely to idle much so I am more than happy to shell out a little extra for Haswell, likewise with SSDs (althouugh only a few watts here).

Any sort of hosting has no chance of being cheaper, as the also have to pay the electricity, A/C, staff etc
              The whole cloud thing is really overhyped
              That's fair enough but this is yester-tech that I have really, when it's idle (i.e. off - just the ILOM running) it's on 62w, I just don't know if the stuff you're hoping for will have the cooling/remote management/redundancy that this bit of iron has, be nice if it has tho!

This Mac is i7, 32gb ram with an SSD but it bogs down and the fans start under load, I just wonder how much ampage its drawing when in that state....

Apples and Oranges really......

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                My laptop has that using Intel Rapid Store.
                Its fine up until a point then it completely borks my machine and forces me into rebooting it, this usually happens after using very data and disk intensive activities especially with VMs and then trying to switch to doing something else.

Personally I wold stick to a largish SSD for all rapid access stuff and another large SSD for everything else, alternatively use a fast and large HDD for general data

Given that you can now pick up 512GB of SSD for £250, using a very small one as a cache doesn't (IMO) make sense unless you really are pushed for budget
                I think the LSI adapters are in a slightly different ballpark, certainly not intended for people who are "pushed for budget" as they start at about £500.

They are aimed at situations where you want to accelerate a disk array and replacing it with SSD would be cost prohibitive i.e. if you have 12 x 3TB HDD in an array that would cost about £20k to replace with pure SSD, so a £600 RAID card and £300 SSD for use as a cache doesn't look so bad.

I'd agree that for desktop / laptop / workstation use SSD is the way to go, I've been using them for 4-5 years now and I can't imagine going back.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X