• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quiet rack cabinets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet rack cabinets

Anyone got one? What you got and is it any good?

I am looking at the Ucoustic and APC Netshelter CX ones, but I'm a bit reluctant to drop a small fortune on a rack if it's not going to make a huge difference.
    Last edited by doodab; 19 August 2013, 11:50.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Oh a nice rack always make a huge difference
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      Oh a nice rack always make a huge difference
      I'm not sure it will help me concentrate though.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Look for servers with low power usage and that would help avoiding noise in the first place.

Dell's R210's are pretty quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Look for servers with low power usage and that would help avoiding noise in the first place.

Dell's R210's are pretty quiet.
          Yeah unfortunately I need various non x86 boxes and they don't do quiet ones. Suns are rather loud. The others haven't arrived yet.
          Last edited by doodab; 19 August 2013, 21:49.

Comment

For heavy stuff like this rent 1/4 rack in some local DC.

Comment

For heavy stuff like this rent 1/4 rack in some local DC.
              I don't want to pay £2-300 a month to house a few cheap boxes that only need to be on once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Yeah unfortunately I need various non x86 boxes and they don't do quiet ones. Suns are rather loud. The others haven't arrived yet.
                IBM Bladecenters aren't that loud when they've settled down, and there are POWER and SPARC blades for them.

Trouble is they use a lot of juice - but with only a couple of blades powered up, not too bad. It's about 400w for the chassis and about 100w for the intel blades each.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I don't want to pay £2-300 a month to house a few cheap boxes that only need to be on once in a blue moon.
                  Loud fans would usually indicate high power usage - those boxes might be "cheap", but they ain't cheap to run - don't be suprised to see your power fill to go up to £200-300 per month, speaking from experience here

Comment

Loud fans would usually indicate high power usage - those boxes might be "cheap", but they ain't cheap to run - don't be suprised to see your power fill to go up to £200-300 per month, speaking from experience here
                    The maximum power draw is only 450W each according to the spec, though my power meter says about half that. I think they are loud primarily because they don't have the automatic fan speed control found in most x86 servers.

The disks are quite noisy too.

And as I say, I'll only need them now and then, they aren't going to be on 24x7.
                    Last edited by doodab; 20 August 2013, 16:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X