• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laptop - what spec?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Laptop - what spec?

Hi All,

Current laptop is dying (about 4 years old and filled with Pasty crumbs) so need to get a new one.

Only use it for surfing web, e-mails, small spreadsheets/word docs and some playing of games.

What specs should I be looking for in terms of processor and ram? is 4gb enough or do I need 6 or 8?

Cheers!

Toshiba Satellite P845T-10G Touchscreen Laptop £379.99 possible £75 cashback if you trade your old laptop @ Ebuyer - Hot UK Deals

Acer V5-571 Laptop - 15.6ins - Core i5 - 500GB HDD-6GB RAM - Black @ ASDA Direct for £359 - Hot UK Deals

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 Laptop i7 8GB 1Tb £499.98 @ Ebuyer - Hot UK Deals
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

i5 or i7 processor (Ivybridge or haswell)
      definitely 8gb as 4gb is never enough

The Lenovo IdeaPad looks ideal
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Hi All,

Current laptop is dying (about 4 years old and filled with Pasty crumbs) so need to get a new one.

Only use it for surfing web, e-mails, small spreadsheets/word docs and some playing of games.

What specs should I be looking for in terms of processor and ram? is 4gb enough or do I need 6 or 8?

Cheers!
        The main "danger" here may be over-speccing (and so over-paying). If you can afford it, then you might want to spec a little higher just to get a little bit of future-proofing (such as there is in the notebook market).
        For the first 3 of your needs you could do with the most basic of basic notebooks out there - no need for Haswell, or boosting up RAM beyong 4GB, etc, unless you really want to.
        Really, a lot depends on what you mean by games. This is what could drive the need to boost the specs, depending on what you mean. What sorts of games are you looking at, and do you have any examples?

Comment

I'm getting one of these

MSI CX61 | Save on Laptops

Unbeatable performance for that price.

Comment

Mac Book Air. Job done. Yes its expensive but how much nicer is it to carry something that is properly light instead of a two tone pile of laptop...

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Air

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I'm getting one of these

MSI CX61 | Save on Laptops

Unbeatable performance for that price.
              And a normal sized screen rather than having a 17" laptop to lug about everywhere.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Am in same position. Couple questions

1. Is touchscreen worth the extra? Anyone got one and if so do you actually use it?

2. Now two laptops in the cupboard with dead keyboards due to unwise juxtaposition of computer and wine. Is there a laptop in this marketplace with a liquid-proof or liquid-resistant case?

Dixons Travel Edinburgh have an HP G6 - 2242SA
                15.6 widescreen,
                Win 8,
                AMD E2 1.7 GHz
                6Gb RAM

for £299. which seems OK for an email/web/games/spreadsheet/documents/movies box.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                  Am in same position. Couple questions

1. Is touchscreen worth the extra? Anyone got one and if so do you actually use it?

2. Now two laptops in the cupboard with dead keyboards due to unwise juxtaposition of computer and wine. Is there a laptop in this marketplace with a liquid-proof or liquid-resistant case?
                  Lenovo thinkpads usually have a drain mechanism that routes spillages out the bottom. I've tested it with water (not intentionally) and it does work.

I quite like the look of the X1 Carbon.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    The main "danger" snip mean. What sorts of games are you looking at, and do you have any examples?
                    Nothing special normal the Civ series - which seem to be more memory/processor hungry than graphics intense so probably do not need a dedicated graphics card

also cheers all - much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X