• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Android binary XML format

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android binary XML format

This is a bit of a long shot:

Android applications comes as a .apk (which is a zip), and inside there is a file called manifest.xml. You might reasonably think this was an XML file, but in fact it's a "binary XML" file - a mysterious format that the Android SDK tools magic up out of a real XML file. I'm trying to rewrite / modify that file, but I can't find anything on the format, other than some odd mention of some python code in a repository somewhere that maybe decodes it.

Does anyone have the slightest idea where I can find the details of this format?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    This is a bit of a long shot:

Android applications comes as a .apk (which is a zip), and inside there is a file called manifest.xml. You might reasonably think this was an XML file, but in fact it's a "binary XML" file - a mysterious format that the Android SDK tools magic up out of a real XML file. I'm trying to rewrite / modify that file, but I can't find anything on the format, other than some odd mention of some python code in a repository somewhere that maybe decodes it.

Does anyone have the slightest idea where I can find the details of this format?
    Have you looked at XDA Developers?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

[Q] Reverse Enginner and edit Manifest problem! - xda-developers

[UTIL][Feb 02 2013] Apktool v1.5.2 - a tool for reverse engineering apk files - xda-developers
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thanks. That does look like it might work.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X