• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Server 2012 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Server 2012 question

I've installed Windows Server 2012 on a fresh server and have set it up as a domain controller. I've added my workstation and created a user on the server via the appropriate consoles. The entire network is DHCP'd from the router so the subnet mask and ip range is OK. I can ping the server from the workstation.

The problem is I'm unable to log my Win 7 workstation onto the domain. I'm currently on a default WORKGROUP and when I enter the domain name, user and password via the System Properties\Computer\Domain Name change screen (the user id is the same) to add it to the domain I get the message "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "xxx": The network path was not found."

If I enter a dummy domain name I get the message "An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain could not be found" so it must be seeing something on the server but just not making the connection.

It was a fresh 2012 server installation, is there a process or service I'm not running or is there something else I need to check?

Cheers,

Andrew
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Is the DC doing internal DNS resolution? That's the normal error message if the DC can't be resolved by the client.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
      Is the DC doing internal DNS resolution? That's the normal error message if the DC can't be resolved by the client.
      Thanks for the reply. After much investigation it did indeed turn out to be a DNS issue - plus I'd named the internal domain the same name as the external one - which didn't help, also there was a DHCP problem. I did end up rebuilding the box but it was the only easy way to fix all the issues. Sorted now.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
      X