• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Allotment Shed Solar Panel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allotment Shed Solar Panel

My father has an allotment which has a 4mx3m shed, 4mx4m patch of grass and a large area for gardening with a greenhouse on it in which they spend several weekends each summer at either gardening or simply gossiping with their allotment neighbours. I've been asked the question "your technical, I was thinking of getting a solar panel put on the roof of the shed." which I know isn't a question but in my fathers eyes it is. Bear with me on the specifics of the sentence, I didn't get to choose my parents or direct their use of the language.

He wants to power:
    - a single light bulb for lighting the interior of the shed in the evenings for a few hours
    - a portable radio (to save on batteries) for most of the day
    - to be able to charge his mobile phone once per day

My knowledge in this area is almost zero, so my questions to my techie CUK friends are:

what will he need other than, obviously, a solar panel to make this work?
    how much is it likely to cost?
    can this be installed easily or is an electrician required?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

hmm maybe I might get a better response in Technical, Admin can you move this thread please?

Comment

I use high power re-chargeable LED Lamps. They last from 4 to 8 hours. (£10 to £18) One is always on-charge and they get swapped over after after usage.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I use high power re-chargeable LED Lamps. They last from 4 to 8 hours. (£10 to £18) One is always on-charge and they get swapped over after after usage.
        Helpful, thanks. But that doesnt solve the radio and phone charger issue and requires them to drive to/from their house to the allotment whenever they want to charge up/replace the lamps.

Comment

My worry with this idea would be that the panel might walk overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            Helpful, thanks. But that doesnt solve the radio and phone charger issue and requires them to drive to/from their house to the allotment whenever they want to charge up/replace the lamps.
            Have a google for it - there's a site that does a kit that would meet you requirements. Battery might be more expensive that he solar kit though...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              He wants to power:
              - a single light bulb for lighting the interior of the shed in the evenings for a few hours
              - a portable radio (to save on batteries) for most of the day
              - to be able to charge his mobile phone once per day

My knowledge in this area is almost zero, so my questions to my techie CUK friends are:

what will he need other than, obviously, a solar panel to make this work?
              how much is it likely to cost?
              can this be installed easily or is an electrician required?
              It's a DIY job.

Probably £100-£150 for parts :-

Panel: e.g. NEW 10W 12v Energy+ Solar Battery Charger - TUV ISO - Monocrystalline - UK Stock | eBay

Battery: Numax CXV31MF Sealed Leisure Battery 12V 110Ah 1000MCA 500 Cycles XV31MF - Leisure Batteries - Numax Leisure Batteries

Lamp: NEW 12 VOLT 15 WATT FLUORESCENT CFL LIGHT BULB E27 ES SALE PRICE | eBay

Fittings: here, here, here, here, and here.

And for charging/using 12V accessories, one of these just cut the plug off.

Might need a bigger panel to keep the battery topped up depending on expectations of "in the evenings for a few hours", and whether that is say every evening or just once or twice a week.

I've been thinking of doing something similar for the garage but never got a round tuit. I have used Tayna for batteries and they are OK, but the ebay links are random examples so DYOR.

Comment

Look at what the Boating / Caravanning fraternity use they have similar needs

HTH
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Look at what the Boating / Caravanning fraternity use they have similar needs

HTH
                  I would but I believe I was banned from their forum

Comment

How about a wind turbine?

I have friends in the narrowboating world who have them installed on their boats and they're not overly dear.

I think there's a website called gongoozlers.com that may be worth a look at.

Comment

Working...
                    X