• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle 11g back and restore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle 11g back and restore

Folks, the Client where I am at the moment needs to create a test Oracle 11g DB based on live data from the end customer.

I'm going to do this using Amazon RDS and I need to provide detailed instructions on what I need to get from the end customer.

My thinking is that I need a datapump backup; do I need to specify with or without log files, and are there any further format issues that I need to specify - such as exporting the table names, sprocs etc? To clarify, I am trying to create a new database based on an already existing one. I am starting with nothing, so I don't have users, schema details, tables etc.

I've done this in MySQL but never Oracle. Can any of the learned CUK people provide a bit of a steer?
    Last edited by RasputinDude; 5 April 2013, 14:29.

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
    Folks, the Client where I am at the moment needs to create a test Oracle 11g DB based on live data from the end customer.

I'm going to do this using Amazon RDS and I need to provide detailed instructions on what I need to get from the end customer.

My thinking is that I need a datapump backup; do I need to specify with or without log files, and are there any further format issues that I need to specify - such as exporting the table names, sprocs etc? To clarify, I am trying to create a new database based on an already existing one. I am starting with nothing, so I don't have users, schema details, tables etc.

I've done this in MySQL but never Oracle. Can any of the learned CUK people provide a bit of a steer?
    Ok first question, does this backup need to be used for development purposes? If so I would create a full backup of the schema and restore it onto your dev box.

If not then a more lightweight image could be created. Takes much less time and is only an image, fully functional but does not exist on the file system as a full backup would, only in an image file.

Take a look at using RMAN, linky
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Thanks Suity, that's a helpful link.

The backup does need to be used for development purposes.

--

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to suityou01 again"

Comment

Working...
      X