• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 Wireless Access Point; massive packet loss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Wireless Access Point; massive packet loss

Office is on three floors, broadband comes straight at ground floor via ADSL router and feeds about 7 desktops (not all of the working at the same time). Laptops and tablets in the basement and first floor. Without a wireless extender the wifi is just good enough to reach the basement but not the first floor.

So we got a second device that can work either as a second access point (wired) or as a wireless extender. I wanted to put it upstairs but the ladies rule the place and they want it downstairs (next to coffee and biscuits, you know).

If I configure the thingy as a traditional wireless extender, it improves wifi downstairs as expected but no wi-fi upstairs.

If I set it up as a second access point, strangely enough it doesn't improve wifi downstairs but I have good wifi signal upstairs. And that would be ok, if it wasn't that with this configuration we have massive packet loss on the desktops. The router is literally a few metres away but we have about 70-80% packet loss, which goes away if we just unplug the AP.

I can't see why this should happen, apart from some form of electrical interferences. But why are they not there when used as wifi extender?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Could it be something to do with the desktops continuously flipping between the APs?

Alternatively, if these can't detect each other, and one of the APs is using old 802.11g rates (or even 802.11b), whereas the new one you installed is using 802.11n rates, then that could be a problem if the 802.11n uses greenfield mode rather than mixed mode (or RTS/CTS pairs for 802.11b). Mind you, 802.11n has been around for several years. So if both APs are fairly new, it's unlikely to be that.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Could it be something to do with the desktops continuously flipping between the APs?
      No because the second AP is only for the wireless.

In other words in AP mode it's beneficial for the wi-fi but it's detrimental for the desktops and vice versa.
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

It sounds like you have somehow created a loop, that is two paths to the same destination in a switched network. You could try putting all the wireless APs on a different VLAN and then routing between VLANs, but this is probably going to be a real fag.

In the first instance, I suggest you need to try and set each access point to use a different channel.

Digging back into the depths of my memory from my Cisco training, use channel 1, then 6, then 11 to avoid interference.

Comment

Working...
        X