• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used Scala

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used Scala

I've noticed more and more contract roles asking for Scala as well as Java. Anyone got into it yet? I have taken quick butchers and it does look promising with some nice functional features, thinking of investing some time to learn it properly.

Originally posted by kal View Post
    I've noticed more and more contract roles asking for Scala as well as Java. Anyone got into it yet? I have taken quick butchers and it does look promising with some nice functional features, thinking of investing some time to learn it properly.
    I take it that's a no then

Comment

The community is not that huge yet, but I'd suggest you start by heading off to one the event being organised.
      Scala solves a rather specific set of requirements for Java shops - being able to code you requirements in much more declarative and less boring fashion.
      Given how most Java projects tend be run - ie. outsourced, I think that's the only reason it has not taken a bigger foothold yet.

Comment

Scala was a multimedia authoring tool that did some quite fancy transition and animation effects, mainly because it ran in full screen DOS mode with page flipping.

You probably don't mean that though.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Scala was a multimedia authoring tool that did some quite fancy transition and animation effects, mainly because it ran in full screen DOS mode with page flipping.

You probably don't mean that though.
          It's what made the Commodore Amiga the professionals choice for multimedia authoring in the early to mid 90's

Spotted an Amiga 1200 on the Krypton Factor on Challenge TV this weekend - ahhh good times.

/sorry none of this helps the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
            It's what made the Commodore Amiga the professionals choice for multimedia authoring in the early to mid 90's

Spotted an Amiga 1200 on the Krypton Factor on Challenge TV this weekend - ahhh good times.

/sorry none of this helps the OP.
            I'm glad it's not just me.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
              The community is not that huge yet, but I'd suggest you start by heading off to one the event being organised.
              Scala solves a rather specific set of requirements for Java shops - being able to code you requirements in much more declarative and less boring fashion.
              Given how most Java projects tend be run - ie. outsourced, I think that's the only reason it has not taken a bigger foothold yet.
              Will take a look at any events in London coming up, I have dipped a toe into the Scala world, seems very much geared towards concurrency and I like the mental challenge of learning a functional language (and it has has commercial benefitsunlike Clojure which while being a pure functional language no one on this earth is using in any commercial contexts), another one is groovy (+ Grails) which again (coming from the verbose java world) looks quite nice for web-site based projects.

Comment

Anyone used Scala

ML use it for FX and Equities. Apart from that not sure how big it is in the city. Have written some code at a bank and know of similar projects but again low volume. Great language when used in the functional stylee

Comment

I seen a contract going recently offering training into it.

Client was an American IB.

Comment

I have used it a lot non commercially. Lots of the banks and hedge funds are using it.

The Coursera course Functional programming principles in.Scala is well worth a look and Scala for the impatient well worth a read.

I start a Scala contract in the next month or so.....

Comment

Working...
                    X