• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which small printer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    LOL! If I could make and market one of those printers, I might stand a chance of a plan B. Manufacturers spend lots of money to stop re manufacturered or non OEM cartridges being used in their printers despite them all claiming to be 'green' and into re cycling!
    Yes, it often seems that my biggest problem is not with "we can't do that", so much as with "we don't want you to do that because it doesn't fit with our idea of you as an income stream".

There's just one thing I'm still puzzled about:
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    There's no black & white ink btw
    You mean they use 2 separate reservoirs?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      5/6 years ago I got a Brother mono laser and an extra cartridge. I am still on the second cartridge.

It was worth it for the lack of hassle.
      1. no more having to fit new cartridges / rush out and buy one so that I could get an invoice in the evening post
      2. no more endless whirring and farting noises from the head cleaning cycle every time I wanted to print a page or two
      3. instant printing - no more delays doing that head cleaning

Point 3 used to drive me nuts.

For the small amount of colour printing I do nowadays, I slip stuff onto a USB stick and take it to a print shop 2 minutes walk away. I probably spend less time in a year going there and getting served than the time I used to spend waiting for the head cleaning cycle and changing cartridges.
      I think that will be my plan for colour. Currently I do have a Samsung mono laser and I agree with your points. However the other member of the household has been suggesting that a physically less imposing item would be an asset to the home; and if I'm getting a new printer I might get a wireless one, since it will not be near the router or a PC, and I might as well get rid of the send-data-over-the-mains dingus.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        I need one of those too (with a scanner though) !
        What is your scanner usage?

I am doing a fair bit of document scanning and you quickly realise that the flatbed that comes with an all in one printer doesn't cut the mustard unless it has a sheet feeder and can do duplex scanning.

I recently got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i which is nicely compact, has a sheet feeder and does duplex scanning too.
        It sits nicely in front of my laser printer.

The software which comes with it is far, far superior to the crap that has come with the all-in-one units I have previously owned.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          What is your scanner usage?

I recently got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i which is nicely compact, has a sheet feeder and does duplex scanning too.
          It sits nicely in front of my laser printer.
          That's a nice device, but £200. My scanner has little usage, - occasionally forwarding HMRC letters to accountant/passport backups/form copies/receipts etc. I was thinking about a hand-held one, seen one in US for like $50, you can do receipts very easily with it, no need to glue them to A4 sheets.

Comment

That's a nice device, but £200. My scanner has little usage, - occasionally forwarding HMRC letters to accountant/passport backups/form copies/receipts etc. I was thinking about a hand-held one, seen one in US for like $50, you can do receipts very easily with it, no need to glue them to A4 sheets.
            Yes but it does come with decent OCR software to produce searchable PDFs and Word/Excel/Text output and I am happy to pay for that.

I also have a Hyundai hand held scanner that came in at just less than £70 including VAT and required a MicroSDHC card on top. This one seems to be a Hyundai Germany thing but it can do A4 and also comes with decent (Windows only) OCR software which can do PDF or spreadsheet output. It does take a bit of practice to get the alignment right.

Sorry, this Youtube is in German, but you can see it in action here
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              Yes, it often seems that my biggest problem is not with "we can't do that", so much as with "we don't want you to do that because it doesn't fit with our idea of you as an income stream".

There's just one thing I'm still puzzled about:
              You mean they use 2 separate reservoirs?
              Erm no. Used to have people come to my retail outlet and ask for a black and white ink cartridge. Lasers and injets dont print 'white.' They only print the black but lots of people think they print using black and white ink \ toner.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

HP Photosmart 7510e, about £155 from Amazon, does exactly what you want.

Wireless printing and scanning, remote printing from your mobile or other computer is easy to set up and at your usage levels, the ink should last 6 months at £52 for a full set of cartridges. Had mine over a year now and I print a lot more than you, have used 2 sets of colour cartridges, 4 sets of Black and a single photo cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by mkhari View Post
                  the ink should last 6 months at £52 for a full set of cartridges.
                  That seem to be a lot comparing to £5-10 per year for an older Epson's all-in-one inks, but blacks are only £3.80 delivered on eBay which sounds better.

Comment

Bought the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 AIO (wifi) last summer for £220 (but got 70 notes cashback) can't fault it so far.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

That seem to be a lot comparing to £5-10 per year for an older Epson's all-in-one inks, but blacks are only £3.80 delivered on eBay which sounds better.
                      That's because epsom all in one ink tanks have about 3 or 4ml of ink in each chamber while the HP cartridge may have 10 to 20ml.

Ink cartridges cost is based on the amount of ink inside them. Less ink equals less cost.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X