• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asp.net problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asp.net problem

Got a vendor app written in .net that when using it gives an error "cannot monitor directory" or somesuch. This error here

PRB: "Failed to Start Monitoring Directory Changes" Error Message When You Browse to ASP.NET Page

If I create the directory it needs then it works ok. I have made sure the network service account has write and modify permissions to the folder, no dice.

So I gave everyone full control. No dice. I installed proc mon, and the process w3p.exe which is running as network service is the thinking chucking the cannot find path error.

It smells like the app is trying to create a temp folder to dynamically compile the page, then clear up after.

So I have a smoking gun, a solution from Microsoft that doesn't work and thought I'd see if any of the .netters on here fancy a challenge.

This is a VM running windows server 2008 r2 64 bit, and the .net app that is failing is .net 2.

This is a dev machine so doing desperate and wildly stupid things like giving everyone full control to a directory for investigative purposes is not of concern. I rolled this change and every change back once I confirmed it did not work.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

What credentials is the application pool running under? Change those credentials to some admin login like yours and try again. Of course, your application (in the virtual directory under iis) needs to point to the correct path of the website (c:/inetpub/wwwroot/websitename), and needs to use the correct application pool. One more thing worth trying is to give access to these 2: IUSR_MachineName and IIS_WPG. If that fails, look at the anonymous login credentials in IIS for your website. They should be IUSR_MachineName and some password. First try disabling Anonymous authentication for your website (just use Forms or Windows or whatever your website is supposed to use), and if that does not work, then use your credentials (or the admin account) for Anonymous login. So change IUSR_MachineName and password, to some admin login name and password. I think the reason this is happening is because when you access the website, anonymous login is being used, which does to have access to c:/inetpub/wwwroot/websitename
    Last edited by tranceporter; 23 March 2013, 12:24.
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
      What credentials is the application pool running under? Change those credentials to some admin login like yours and try again. Of course, your application (in the virtual directory under iis) needs to point to the correct path of the website (c:/inetpub/wwwroot/websitename), and needs to use the correct application pool. One more thing worth trying is to give access to these 2: IUSR_MachineName and IIS_WPG. If that fails, look at the anonymous login credentials in IIS for your website. They should be IUSR_MachineName and some password. First try disabling Anonymous authentication for your website (just use Forms or Windows or whatever your website is supposed to use), and if that does not work, then use your credentials (or the admin account) for Anonymous login. So change IUSR_MachineName and password, to some admin login name and password. I think the reason this is happening is because when you access the website, anonymous login is being used, which does to have access to c:/inetpub/wwwroot/websitename
      I will try that.

Couple of questions first though? If I allowed everyone full control, would anonymous not then have access?

Also, if I create the folder before hand it works so whatever is happening the process has permission to create files.

It smells like it either can't or doesn't try to create the required temp folder, yet if you do it for it then it works ok.

Comment

Do you the have path of the folder it is trying to create? Is it under the default c:/inetpub/wwwroot/websitename IIS folder, or somewhere like C:/windows/temp? Also, these seem relevant to your problem:

https://julianscorner.com/wiki/progr...spnet_issue_vm

http://serverfault.com/questions/384...y-with-files-o

http://bytes.com/topic/asp-net/answe...g-file-changes

http://bytes.com/topic/asp-net/answe...toring-changes

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;824308

The first one especially seems quite bang on!
        Last edited by tranceporter; 23 March 2013, 13:02.
        I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Thank you for giving up time on your weekend for me.

First link did look spot on, but adding the registry key didn't help sadly.

I checked local security policy and impersonation privs, even added everyone to this priv.

All paths are local to the VM, not remote.

The path it is trying to access is

C:\program files (x86)\Vendors Name\Web\Processname\Forms\en

The bit in bold doesn't exist. If you create it happy days.

Edit : The identity of the application pool is "Network Service".

Comment

Winner

I added anonymous login to the folder directories and gave write permissions and it works!!!! I can figure it out from here.

Comment

Awesomeness! Nothing like it when things work
              Have a blast for the remaining weekend!

Comment

Working...
              X