• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview Question regarding less expensive type of locking in C#

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interview Question regarding less expensive type of locking in C#

I got a recent interview Question regarding less expensive type of locking in C#, I described a singleton and they asked my about threading issues, I stated that because the singleton had a single static instance I would have to use lock(someref) for the get property which returns it singleton instance. They then told me that doing a lock on every get would be expensive so what would be a cheaper alternative to locking on the get instance property for the singleton class.]

Anyone know ?

Re: interview Question regarding less expensive type of locking in C#

I don't know how you do it in C# specifically, but what you want is some kind of atomic test and set. With a singelton, only the first call actually has to do anything, every other call just returns a static variable, so a lock is an unnecessary overhead.

Though what might be better is to initial
    ise your singeltons at startup.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Probably more than you need to know about singleton and locking in C#.

Linky

Comment

Offtopic, but very interesting new stuff in Intel's Haswell - hopefully C# and other languages include support very quickly -

AnandTech - Making Sense of the Intel Haswell Transactional Synchronization eXtensions

Comment

Double checked locking

In most cases for a singleton, the value is set after the first few calls (very often in the first call), so performing a lock on every subsequent call is unneccessary. This can be handled with an extra if statement and if it does need to be set, then go into a lock statement and restest inside the lock statement.

Comment

Working...
          X