• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SMTP Relay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP Relay

A friend of mine runs a small business. He has an old software system that sends electronic invoices using unauthenticated SMTP, while his email provider has now stopped that service and permits authenticated SMTP only. Since his s/w package does not support authenticated SMTP, he can no longer send invoices.

An SMTP relay might solve his problem: some s/w that runs on Windows and receives his unauthenticated SMTP messages and forwards these to his email provider with SMTP authentication.

I've Googled, didn't find anything (yet). Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

TIA.

EDIT. Of course I mean SMTP Relay (thread title). What a dummy! Mods, can you change?

hMailServer - Free email server for Microsoft Windows

It's a bit of a pain to set up correctly, but it'll do what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      A friend of mine runs a small business. He has an old software system that sends electronic invoices using unauthenticated SMTP, while his email provider has now stopped that service and permits authenticated SMTP only. Since his s/w package does not support authenticated SMTP, he can no longer send invoices.

An SMTP relay might solve his problem: some s/w that runs on Windows and receives his unauthenticated SMTP messages and forwards these to his email provider with SMTP authentication.

I've Googled, didn't find anything (yet). Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

TIA.

EDIT. Of course I mean SMTP Relay (thread title). What a dummy! Mods, can you change?
      Would take 5 min's to whip that up in C#, can he not program?

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
        hMailServer - Free email server for Microsoft Windows

It's a bit of a pain to set up correctly, but it'll do what you want.
        Looks good... reading the documentation now. Ta.

Comment

Hamster?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Why not just install IIS on the box (via add/remove programs) and set up a smart host pointing to the remote smtp server and configure outbound security. Then set the app to send via localhost.

Comment

This bit of software hasn't been updated in a while but I used it recently to get an all-in-one printer that didn't know about authentication to talk to Office 365.

It can run as a service so once you have it configured you can pretty much leave it be.

E-MailRelay -- SMTP proxy and store-and-forward MTA

Comment

Working...
              X