• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SNA Server to Connect to CICS Application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNA Server to Connect to CICS Application

I have to connect to a debit/credit fucntion on a CICS mainframe using SNA Server.

It would appear that I have a couple of options open to me - just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this kind of thing.

First is to use screen scraping which, I understand, involved storing the co-ordinates of all the input fields on the application screens plus a whole load of other stuff.

Second is to use LU0 which is basically roll your own. Everything into and out of the mainframe is a stream of raw bites and my data is inserted at the appropriate locations in these screens appropriately encoded.

The communications between the 2 systems will be login, login response, call of debit/credit function and its response - not particulary complicated.

Anyone any thoughts on which way to go?

Can't you go the LU6 route?

Comment

I've done many similar things but I would suggest looking at the CICS manuals on the IBM website at look at the APIs available. CICS does have a web interface, in fact look at CICS Transaction Gateway. Do not use screen scraping, its slow and sometimes unreliable. I've done the LU6.2 route which is reasonably simple but still a fair bit of work. I think you'll find your CICS guys will know what to do, speak to them.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yes, looks like LU6.2. No web service route available.

In the mean time, looks like I'm going to be sat twiddling my thumbs until I have a CICS region to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I've done many similar things but I would suggest looking at the CICS manuals on the IBM website at look at the APIs available. CICS does have a web interface, in fact look at CICS Transaction Gateway. Do not use screen scraping, its slow and sometimes unreliable. I've done the LU6.2 route which is reasonably simple but still a fair bit of work. I think you'll find your CICS guys will know what to do, speak to them.
          Whs - back in my OS/2 days

Comment

Working...
          X