• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reliable high-capacity tape backup system for PCs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    SAS is serial attached SCSI and it's the SCSI version of SATA, with the same data rates (i.e. 6Gbps in the latest incarnation) and a few extra features. It's pretty much the standard drive interface on servers and DAS and a lot of SANs use SAS or SATA drives.

Personally I would back up direct to disk unless you need to keep a lot of archived backups. You could put a 16TB NAS together for the cost of that tape drive.
    Whether or not you need archives is the crux of the matter. Tapes are very handy for keeping offsite backups and are more robust for transportation.

You can also mix and match: backups to disk and then archive those off to tape periodically.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Whether or not you need archives is the crux of the matter. Tapes are very handy for keeping offsite backups and are more robust for transportation.

You can also mix and match: backups to disk and then archive those off to tape periodically.
      HSM!

And not High School Musical.....

Comment

I found a online backup company that sent you the disks by courier to do the first "seed" backup with....can't remember names off the top of my head.

Comment

Given the prices and availability, I vote for for a bunch of cheap 2-3TB HDDs in a NAS, perhaps two sets in two locations.
          Personally I only have <500GB of data that's mine and my client's so I backup from laptop to PC, to Time Capsule and 'cloud' so I have it in 4 physical places.

Comment

Working...
          X