• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Master / detail object relationships

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master / detail object relationships

Working in .Net, but I suppose the question applies to any OO language

If you've got a master/detail relationship (say Order and OrderLine)
    and the detail object needs info from the master (e.g. customer discount type) what's the best way of propagating the information? I started by passing the values as parameters to the constructor, but it's kinda snowballed, and I'm passing about 10 things now.
    Passing the Order object to orderLine doesn't seem right either.
    What options are there? I could stick all the parameters in a struct I guess?

TVM

Originally posted by MadDawg View Post
    Working in .Net, but I suppose the question applies to any OO language

If you've got a master/detail relationship (say Order and OrderLine)
    and the detail object needs info from the master (e.g. customer discount type) what's the best way of propagating the information? I started by passing the values as parameters to the constructor, but it's kinda snowballed, and I'm passing about 10 things now.
    Passing the Order object to orderLine doesn't seem right either.
    What options are there? I could stick all the parameters in a struct I guess?

TVM
    Try a fluent interface

Comment

I think passing the Order to the OrderLine is fine - acessing attributes from the order is better than trying to use some structure or variables to keep data in sync between the order and it's lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
        I think passing the Order to the OrderLine is fine
        WHS. If you want to be more object oriented about it, you could define an interface that the Order object implements and pass a reference to the interface into your OrderLine object. That way they're less tied together, and the detail object won't have full access.

If it was C++, you'd then have a circular reference problem to deal with.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheers - appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X